News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: viper37 on March 03, 2021, 06:48:02 PMThe best part however, will be watching news anchor all around the world trying to pronounce one of these 30 letters volcano name!

You'll be pleased to know then that one of the likely locations is called Þráinsskjaldarhraun.  :showoff:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

I was hoping my kid would be born today but I guess it's not to be.

Happy 4/3/21 everyone nonetheless
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2021, 01:25:12 PM

:lol:

Good luck  :hug:

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on March 04, 2021, 01:25:12 PM

Not the last time your children will undermine your careful plans for them. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Maybe see if your girlfriend can hang on to 2/2/22?

Syt

It's not too late to have doctors induce labor.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2021, 03:01:18 PM
It's not too late to have doctors induce labor.

They could induce now, but the actual birth would be many hours later.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

My only hope is 12/3/21
Not quite so destined for a career as an astronaut but maths skills are good to have.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

We had a work colleague. In her first pregnancy she had it all figured out. The ideal birth date - and time! - to min/max the insurance benefits and time constraint on her and her husband. She was completely certain that everything would go to plan. Well, the date came, went, and a week later the doctors finally urged to induce labor. It still took 50 hours of labor to squeeze out the little munchkin.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

50 hours?!?!  :wacko: Poor woman!

My 2nd nephew is expected to be born soon too, if he's not out by the 19th my sis in law will get a c-section.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on March 04, 2021, 03:29:31 PM
We had a work colleague. In her first pregnancy she had it all figured out. The ideal birth date - and time! - to min/max the insurance benefits and time constraint on her and her husband. She was completely certain that everything would go to plan. Well, the date came, went, and a week later the doctors finally urged to induce labor. It still took 50 hours of labor to squeeze out the little munchkin.

I took two weeks off around my 3rd son's expected due date so I could help out when the baby came.  The little bugger hung in there and we had to induce by the end of those two weeks.  Josh wound up being born on a Friday, the last day of my holidays, and I had to be back at work on the Monday.

8 years later and I'm still bitter they wouldn't give me any flexibility around those days.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2021, 03:49:32 PM

I took two weeks off around my 3rd son's expected due date so I could help out when the baby came.  The little bugger hung in there and we had to induce by the end of those two weeks.  Josh wound up being born on a Friday, the last day of my holidays, and I had to be back at work on the Monday.

8 years later and I'm still bitter they wouldn't give me any flexibility around those days.

Doesn't paternity leave kick on when the baby is born regardless of you being on holidays or not?

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 04, 2021, 03:50:55 PM

Doesn't paternity leave kick on when the baby is born regardless of you being on holidays or not?

I didn't take paternity leave.  Paternity leave here is run through the EI (employment insurance) system, which has a cap on benefits.  Lots of employers will grant a "top-up" to make your salary complete, but GOA (Gov't of Alberta) does not.  And we couldn't afford the drop in income at the time.

I had to use holiday time instead.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2021, 03:54:09 PM

I didn't take paternity leave.  Paternity leave here is run through the EI (employment insurance) system, which has a cap on benefits.  Lots of employers will grant a "top-up" to make your salary complete, but GOA (Gov't of Alberta) does not.  And we couldn't afford the drop in income at the time.

And I thought that Canada was a decent country...  :wacko:

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on March 04, 2021, 03:55:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 04, 2021, 03:54:09 PM

And I thought that Canada was a decent country...  :wacko:

Well really it just means I earn over $100k per year which puts me well above the cap.  It's fine for most people.