Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

40 years and the only non-Tory who's won an election is still Blair :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

What's the cutoff when they list the same HoG? Just different terms?

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2021, 04:42:26 AM
40 years and the only non-Tory who's won an election is still Blair :ph34r:
Reflects in the state of the land really.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Spain.

Franco
Carrero Blanco
Arias Navarro
Suárez
Suárez (first elected government)
Suárez
Calvo-Sotelo (after Suárez resigned)
González
González
González
González
Aznar
Aznar
Zapatero
Zapatero
Rajoy
Rajoy
Sánchez (via motion of no-confidence)
Sánchez

So we get only 19, Franco doing the job for 25 years since 1945 kinda helps keep the number low though  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on January 26, 2021, 04:58:27 AM
Reflects in the state of the land really.
And the state of the Labour Party.

Yeah - I think it's elections. So Major took over from Thatcher in 1990 but then won his own term in 92 so he's listed twice.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 26, 2021, 04:53:53 AM

Don't know about the other countries, but at least in Italy it shows every time there's a shift in the government coalition, it doesn't imply new elections. For instance, during the current legislature (after the 2018 elections) they've already had two different governments, Conte I (M5S + Lega) and Conte II (M5S + PD + Others). By the way, these two governments aren't shown in the graph, which I guess is from 2018 or earlier (the Gentiloni government, the last shown, lasted from December 2016 to June 2018).

The Larch

Checking the French list I can narrow down when the graph was produced, as Cazeneuve's government lasted from December 2016 to May 2017, so the graph had to be produced at some point between those two dates.

By the way, it seems to me that lately France is eating away at Italy's reputation for instability in its governments. Between 2012 and 2017 they had 5 different governments. I guess that the President being so omnipresent it takes away foreign attention from the government itself.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on January 26, 2021, 05:36:36 AM
Checking the French list I can narrow down when the graph was produced, as Cazeneuve's government lasted from December 2016 to May 2017, so the graph had to be produced at some point between those two dates.

By the way, it seems to me that lately France is eating away at Italy's reputation for instability in its governments. Between 2012 and 2017 they had 5 different governments. I guess that the President being so omnipresent it takes away foreign attention from the government itself.

How important is the cabinet in France, though? The president seems a lot more important.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on January 26, 2021, 07:12:29 AM
How important is the cabinet in France, though? The president seems a lot more important.
I know this isn't technically right but I always assume the person who attends the European Council is the "real" head of government. France, Cyprus, Lithuania and Romania are, I think, the only countries who send the President.

But it must be weird during co-habitation in France when the relevant minister will come from the cabinet :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on January 26, 2021, 07:16:54 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2021, 07:11:20 AM
Canada sits at 27

I'm counting 29 for the Netherlands.

22 for Portugal

Current one, Bosta and his clique

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/XXII_Governo_Constitucional_de_Portugal

First one in 1976, so the instability period between after the 1974 Revolution is not included.

Razgovory

The color scheme for the governments list is confusing.  Took me a bit to figure it out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

By the way, Conte has just presented his resignation, and will possibly try to form a new government, so it'll soon be either Conte III or some other one, so Italy will draw with France on top of the list.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2021, 07:16:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 26, 2021, 07:12:29 AM
I know this isn't technically right but I always assume the person who attends the European Council is the "real" head of government. France, Cyprus, Lithuania and Romania are, I think, the only countries who send the President.

But it must be weird during co-habitation in France when the relevant minister will come from the cabinet :hmm:

Depends :

:D [spoiler]Merci Thatcher![/spoiler]