News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Last night, a ski station in the Pyrinees registered the lowest temperature ever recorded in Spain: -34.1 ºC.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

Quote from: celedhring on January 06, 2021, 01:39:27 PM
Last night, a ski station in the Pyrinees registered the lowest temperature ever recorded in Spain: -34.1 ºC.

I used to have to work, moving freight on a flatbed truck, in -40....
Man, I am a moron.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I've been listening to a pod cast on the French Revolution, the one that Berkut recommend back in 2014.  Never really payed much attention to pod casts, but I didn't know anything about the French Revolution.  I can see why the French became so anti-clerical.  The wealth of bishops was obscene.  They deserved what ever they got.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2021, 08:41:19 PM
I've been listening to a pod cast on the French Revolution, the one that Berkut recommend back in 2014.  Never really payed much attention to pod casts, but I didn't know anything about the French Revolution.  I can see why the French became so anti-clerical.  The wealth of bishops was obscene.  They deserved what ever they got.

But if the French had been somewhat less anti-clerical, they might have been able to successfully transition to either a constitutional monarchy or a constitutional republic.

Josquius

I'm sure most of you have heard the myth that during the Irish Potato Famine the Ottoman Sultan was told not to send aid unless he embarrassed the queen but he ignored it and smuggled food in anyway.
As ridiculous as the story is it continues to be believed- there was quite an incident some years ago with an Irish politician embarrassing themselves over it. Claiming Drogheda's coat of arms has an Islamic moon symbol to thank the Turks...rather than the historically well recorded existence of the coat of arms dating back to King John.
Here is what I found to be a really good write up examining where this story come from, the story of the story I found quite interesting in itself even if the myth is a nonsense.

https://mikedashhistory.com/2014/12/29/queen-victorias-5-the-strange-tale-of-turkish-aid-to-ireland-during-the-great-famine/

:bowler:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The pronunciation of Antifa.

Has it always been Antifa in the US? It just seems weird, since Anti-[whatever] is generally pronounced differently.

(Not that it matters, but it's Antifa in German, which is in line with how "anti-" is usually pronounced.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Isn't there an artist called Queen Antifa?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2021, 03:27:16 AM
The pronunciation of Antifa.

Has it always been Antifa in the US? It just seems weird, since Anti-[whatever] is generally pronounced differently.

(Not that it matters, but it's Antifa in German, which is in line with how "anti-" is usually pronounced.)

Over here we pronounce it the same as yanks. Even though "Anti-" is pronounced as you say, "antifa" is so short that it gets treated as its own word instead of as a composite, and Spanish leans towards stressing the penultimate syllable of words. Hence, Antifa.

Josquius

I wonder how much idiocy is to blame and how much a conscious effort to take it away from its hard to argue against meaning of anti fascist, and to something foreign instead.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 05, 2021, 03:43:37 PM
So Brits are obsessed with being house owners and with their houses' market values, but the houses themselves are crappy?
Truly it is a land of contrasts :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2021, 04:08:32 AM
I wonder how much idiocy is to blame and how much a conscious effort to take it away from its hard to argue against meaning of anti fascist, and to something foreign instead.

I can see that it says the term first appeared in 1946, but I honestly can't recall hearing 'antifa' before the last 5 years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Although overall Britain is awesome, I have developed this theory that being an island in pre-commercial flight they were not as physically exposed to ideas criss-crossing via people moving around as the continent, and that has resulted in... idiosyncrasies. Like the faucets.

Building-wise, I once read a long blog post by a Hungarian construction worker who worked a lot in both countries. It was a very detailed analysis of differences which I have nearly all forgotten, but the point of it was that the outside structure and longevity of British homes are superior to Hungarian ones, but the insides are substandard compared to Hungary.