News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Ah, a true Trumpist, he would never support a Loser.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on December 31, 2020, 07:24:12 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 30, 2020, 06:34:29 AM
In case you haven't seen it already, Boston Dynamics' robots now even dance better than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

This is how humanity ends.

Not now, but when self-aware AIs discover this video. :P

It is pretty awesome, though. :D

Syt

The Musikverein which organizes the Vienna New Years Concert uploaded this year's concert to YouTube, and, well ...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

As long as you get it on ORF site, one may survive.
Works here, incidentally.

Maladict

Looks like they took it down completely.
I did watch it on TV, and actually liked it better without the clapping herd.

Duque de Bragança

It really felt like a rehearsal without the audience on TV though.

PS: available on the catch-up service of state-owned TV France Television here (Eurovision/UER network).

celedhring

Yeah, I missed the audience too. That said, I feared they would pipe in the clapping for the Radetzky March but fortunately they abstained from that.

Duque de Bragança

Never thought the traditional clapping for the Radetzky March would be so feared by some people.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2021, 08:57:18 AM
Yeah, I missed the audience too. That said, I feared they would pipe in the clapping for the Radetzky March but fortunately they abstained from that.
In terms of uncanny valley piped in or not - I've been watching the darts on TV and it is so weird without an audience. The atmosphere at darts is what makes it so fun (primarily because the price of your ticket includes access to an open bar :lol:). It's very disconcerting - far more so, weirdly, than football or other sports I've watched.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

In the days before the concert I saw the Radetzky march being described as the Marsellaise for the right. Opinions?  :P

Duque de Bragança

I guess this will really confuse post-modern French leftists who see the Marseillaise as a right-wing symbol.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2021, 10:41:42 AM
In the days before the concert I saw the Radetzky march being described as the Marsellaise for the right. Opinions?  :P
It's moments like this when I really do feel we are not European in the same way (our equivalent for Marseillaise of the right would, obviously, be Land of Hope and Glory) - slightly different reference points etc :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2021, 10:48:48 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2021, 10:41:42 AM
It's moments like this when I really do feel we are not European in the same way (our equivalent for Marseillaise of the right would, obviously, be Land of Hope and Glory) - slightly different reference points etc :hmm:

Well, the Radetzky march definitely has a historical background in the context of the liberal revolutions of 1848 that I doubt that many people are aware of nowadays. Don't know about the associations of Land of Hope and Glory in the UK, besides generic patriotism and maybe some drops of old school imperialism, but I'd say that outside the UK it's more associated with graduations (or as Macho Man's Randy Savage entrance music  :lol: ).

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2021, 12:48:46 PM
Well, the Radetzky march definitely has a historical background in the context of the liberal revolutions of 1848 that I doubt that many people are aware of nowadays. Don't know about the associations of Land of Hope and Glory in the UK, besides generic patriotism and maybe some drops of old school imperialism, but I'd say that outside the UK it's more associated with graduations (or as Macho Man's Randy Savage entrance music  :lol: ).
Land of Hope and Glory is just Last Night at the Proms as far as I'm aware - that is all I associate it with. I think there's been talk about using it as a national anthem for England (e.g. for sports) so England stops stealing the British anthem - but no-one knows the words :lol:

The best patriotic UK song is obviously Jerusalem but it's very associated with the Labour Party who sing it (and The Red Flag) every year at conference - another point of divergence! :o The left here generally doesn't know the Internationale or Bella, Ciao (:wub:).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2021, 01:06:07 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2021, 12:48:46 PM
Land of Hope and Glory is just Last Night at the Proms as far as I'm aware - that is all I associate it with. I think there's been talk about using it as a national anthem for England (e.g. for sports) so England stops stealing the British anthem - but no-one knows the words :lol:

England "stealing" the British anthem doesn't help either in the perception of the UK being little more than England plus some random attachments.

QuoteThe best patriotic UK song is obviously Jerusalem but it's very associated with the Labour Party who sing it (and The Red Flag) every year at conference - another point of divergence! :o The left here generally doesn't know the Internationale or Bella, Ciao (:wub:).

I'm going to chalk down to British weirdness that you use as a patriotic song what basically sounds like a church hymn. And that it's a song associated with Labour makes it even weirder (Satanic mills!).