News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I know they're planning for all kinds of contingencies, but ...

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

That means the digital natives right?
I wonder how long it will be before the idea that the traditional generation system is dead really takes hold.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I, for one, welcome our new Zoomer overlords.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Are Zoomers really more tech savvy than older generations? Because that's not really my experience. They grew up surrounded by technology, yes. But current devices are fairly opaque when compared to say, the PCs of old.

They do type really fast on their phones, I''ll give them that.

Duque de Bragança

grumbler

I am guessing that this "scenario" was the preliminary one designed to get everyone in the exercise used to their positions and responsibilities without straining them too much or generating the wrong "lessons learned."  These exercises often start out with something like that, though I've not heard of many that silly, except the one where the GMO Cheetos turned people into zombies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

From Ben Judah on Twitter - some Vauban star fort style forces of French troops in Mali:

I find it fascinating that it's a model that's still apparently used by French forces.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Some upgraded low-tier units are still viable in the late game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2020, 09:57:15 AM
I find it fascinating that it's a model that's still apparently used by French forces.

You think it's policy?  My first thought was it's bored troops having some fun.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2020, 10:13:38 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 29, 2020, 09:57:15 AM

You think it's policy?  My first thought was it's bored troops having some fun.
Looking it up - yeah these were built by engineers and when complete the Ministry of Defence announced they'd finished building the fort so it is a policy.
QuoteAccording to a French Ministry of Defense press release from August 14, 2020, work on the Labbézanga camp on the River Niger began last June 1. "After six weeks of hard work in demanding climatic conditions, the Labbézanga camp is now complete," the ministry noted.

"Where only sparse vegetation grew two months ago, there is now a camp whose defense system is based on the proven concept of a star-shaped stronghold," the press release continued. "Established on a position overlooking Labbézanga and offering views over a long distance, the camp will allow its occupants to hold the position."

Interviewed by the French Ministry of Defense last July, a spokesperson for the Barkhane force commander in Gao, known only as Colonel Michel, explained a little more about the background to the fortifications:
    "The star fort is a revival of old concepts that are well known to the French Army. But it was the subject of a joint study with the FAMa, benefiting from their knowledge of the enemy and the terrain. As partners, we have shared our experiences to develop this new concept of the fort. This camp demonstrates a common will to put strong and visible structures on the ground, capable of showing to the population and to the terrorists the will of the FAMa to take root in the landscape. It will also be a sign of future settlements since it's a model that will hopefully be developed throughout [eastern Burkina Faso, southwestern Niger, and southeast central Mali]"

The French Ministry of Defense released three accompanying photos showing the fort at Labbézanga under construction, but so far haven't provided any aerial views of its layout.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Hey, it worked for Dien Bien Phu.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

In case you haven't seen it already, Boston Dynamics' robots now even dance better than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on December 30, 2020, 06:34:29 AM
In case you haven't seen it already, Boston Dynamics' robots now even dance better than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

It's a low bar to clear. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I was going to post theexact same thing! :o

Syt

The Vienna State Opera has light fixtures in its arches that are currently flashing 2020 DANKE FÜR NIX, i.e. 2020 THANKS FOR NOTHING

https://twitter.com/WrStaatsoper/status/1344670131323084800?s=20

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.