News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

No idea, early on I suspect, shortly after getting recruited by the ministry. It was a good series though, with additional interest from seeing the Spanish point of view on various historical events.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 10:37:57 AM
No idea, early on I suspect, shortly after getting recruited by the ministry. It was a good series though, with additional interest from seeing the Spanish point of view on various historical events.
And Spanish stereotypes of themselves - eg always doing things at the last minute :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2020, 08:40:50 AM
Quote from: Maladict on December 21, 2020, 04:37:54 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2020, 04:29:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2020, 01:46:45 PM

Also Tyr, there's more than just one style of italian pizza; I used to work in a reasonably 'authentic' Italian restaurant ie several Italians worked there and pizza was a real bone of contention between the Sicilian and the guy from Milan.

Pizza being Neapolitan, for starters.

In an argument between Milanese en Sicilians, I'm sure that would not have come up.  :lol:

:)

Yeah, that's why mentioned where they were from. IIRC the Sicilian wanted garlic included on most, whereas the guy from Milan was dead against it and he certainly made the best pizza  margherita.

I'm sure they could agree on Bolzano pizzas being un-Italian though.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2020, 10:42:10 AM

I'm sure they could agree on Bolzano pizzas being un-Italian though.  :P

Oh for sure, Bolzano pizzas to me is just weird isn't?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 10:40:41 AM
And Spanish stereotypes of themselves - eg always doing things at the last minute :lol:

Also the "this is strictly against the rules of the Ministry!!".........."meh, lets just break the rules.........again!"  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 21, 2020, 10:48:26 AM

Also the "this is strictly against the rules of the Ministry!!".........."meh, lets just break the rules.........again!"  :D

Their vision of bureaucracy is also highly idiosincratic.  :lol:

The Larch

And making stuff up as we go along.  :P

The Larch

Was there any particular point of view that you found interesting? I don't remember for instance many episodes involving the English or British. There are plenty of them involving the French, though.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 11:01:07 AM
Was there any particular point of view that you found interesting? I don't remember for instance many episodes involving the English or British. There are plenty of them involving the French, though.  :lol:
That's relevant on its own :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 11:07:51 AM

IIRC there are at least a handful of episodes dealing with different aspects of the Napoleonic wars, for instance.

celedhring

Yeah, the French are the true enemy of the Spanish people  :P

I mean, it's quite ingrained in the collective psyche. For starters the uprising against Joseph Bonaparte is considered to have kickstarted the modern Spanish national sentiment. We just have a rather checkered shared history. Whenever my school took us to visit a church or whatever, the guide's description invariably contained the phrase "and then the French sacked it/burnt it down during the war of [Insert one of the million wars between France and Spain or their predecessor states]"  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2020, 11:12:28 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2020, 11:07:51 AM

IIRC there are at least a handful of episodes dealing with different aspects of the Napoleonic wars, for instance.

One of my favorite episodes of the show is the one were a group of afrancesados is trying to change the course of the Peninsular War to make the French win, since they believe it would have been better for Spain.

Richard Hakluyt

I found the episodes set in the Philippines very interesting; I'd never heard of the siege of Baler for instance. I thought that was a salutary reminder that there no small or unimportant wars from the point of view of the participants.

......and was Lope de Vega really that annoying  :P ?

Incidentally I just spotted earlier that a 4th season was made  :w00t: this year; no sign of it on the English streamers yet though.

Syt

In the year of our Lord 1588 NOTHING HAPPENED!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2020, 11:21:03 AM

In the year of our Lord 1588 NOTHING HAPPENED!

There's actually an episode in which, in the aftermath of the Armada, Felipe II goes kinda mad and, breaking the official rules of the ministry (established in 1491 by Isabel la Católica, its founder), tries to travel in time to make Spain lords of time and space.  :lol: