Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

This is disappointing - but not that surprising:
https://news.ufl.edu/2020/11/ta-bias/
QuoteStudy reveals gender bias in TA evaluations

A college class had two teaching assistants: one male and one female. At the end of the semester, the students scored the male TA higher on course evaluations, while the female TA got five times as many negative reviews.

There's just one problem: They were the same person.

Emily Khazan, a graduate student in interdisciplinary ecology at the University of Florida, conducted the study in a 136-person asynchronous online class last fall. Half of the students were told they had a male TA, the rest a female TA, but Khazan actually fulfilled TA duties for the whole class, using text-based interactions in an online learning platform.

While previous studies have shown that women and people of color may receive harsher faculty evaluations than white men, particularly in STEM fields, this study extends the finding to teaching assistants — the end of the often-leaky pipeline bringing underrepresented groups to academia.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 05, 2020, 12:30:14 PM
This is disappointing - but not that surprising:
https://news.ufl.edu/2020/11/ta-bias/
QuoteStudy reveals gender bias in TA evaluations

A college class had two teaching assistants: one male and one female. At the end of the semester, the students scored the male TA higher on course evaluations, while the female TA got five times as many negative reviews.

There's just one problem: They were the same person.

Emily Khazan, a graduate student in interdisciplinary ecology at the University of Florida, conducted the study in a 136-person asynchronous online class last fall. Half of the students were told they had a male TA, the rest a female TA, but Khazan actually fulfilled TA duties for the whole class, using text-based interactions in an online learning platform.

While previous studies have shown that women and people of color may receive harsher faculty evaluations than white men, particularly in STEM fields, this study extends the finding to teaching assistants — the end of the often-leaky pipeline bringing underrepresented groups to academia.

In other news, sky confirmed to be blue.

I coached my TAs to ignore their evaluations. (« What does an Asian person know about American history »). At least  the department was fully cognizant of the situation and took evaluations with a huge grainof salt. But it takes its toll on the students.
Que le grand cric me croque !

PDH

"PDH is the worst TA, he never lectures out of the book."

"PDH is the worst TA, he only ever lectures out of the book."

Those were back to back (I think the department secretary put then that way on purpose) back from my first ever discussion section I taught in 1992.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Maybe one kid only came in Mondays and the other Wednesdays.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: PDH on November 05, 2020, 03:09:10 PM

Those were back to back (I think the department secretary put then that way on purpose) back from my first ever discussion section I taught in 1992.
well they weren't wrong, you are the worst.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Quote from: katmai on November 05, 2020, 04:23:36 PM
Quote from: PDH on November 05, 2020, 03:09:10 PM

well they weren't wrong, you are the worst.

True, but they didn't coordinate their attacks and they cancelled each other out.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

On that - whenever I read about QAnon I always think about Q, the really good political conspiracy thriller set in the Reformation written by an Italian collective:
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2020, 04:22:41 PM
I just can't do radlers.
I mean, it's gotta be a hot and sunny day.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 01:12:16 PM
On that - whenever I read about QAnon I always think about Q, the really good political conspiracy thriller set in the Reformation written by an Italian collective:

I've seen some speculation that they or the leading light from the group may have started QAnon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2020, 01:21:54 PM

I've seen some speculation that they or the leading light from the group may have started QAnon.

What? Thanks a lot Italy.

First Mussolini and now this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2020, 01:21:54 PM

Oh that's amazing! :o

I had never considered that. It sort of makes sense - a collective of authors, books that are kind of allegorical (Q is about the Reformation but the post-script suggests it's really about Operation Gladio and neo-liberalism) and the thwarting of counter-culture/movements of resistance in the 60s and 70s, all of the books have a MacGuffin (in 54 I think it's literally the "MacGuffin Device") a bit like the Trump paedo-cleanse.

This is dangerous - if I keep thinking about this I'm going to end up being a conspiracy theorist about conspiracy theories. Which is, weirdly, what Luther Blissett/Wu Ming would really want :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I thought Q was supposed to be the dude from 4chan?