News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2020, 10:41:41 PM
So did Sean's Bar in Ireland ever have to shut down early due to Viking raids?
Probably not - it's quite inland, but I think 900 would be about the peak of Viking residence in Ireland and it's on the Shannon which no doubt the Vikings were pinging up and down.

It's not clear how old it is - it's one of those things of there's evidence of an inn being in Athlone since 900 and they claim to be it. But they did renovations in the 1970s and discovered that the walls were made of wattle and daub which date back to 900 (and have now been mostly removed to the National Museum of Ireland) plus coins minted by a landlord that date back about a 1000 years :lol:

It's definitely back to about the 11th century.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Spanish gossip press speculating on a possible future marriage between Princess Leonor of Spain and Prince Christian of Denmark. Dynastic union  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 07:33:31 AM
Spanish gossip press speculating on a possible future marriage between Princess Leonor of Spain and Prince Christian of Denmark. Dynastic union  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Christian of Denmark? How original.  :P

Josquius

I can just hear the simultaneous nods of approval and fists being shook at those royals who didn't choose appropriate brides.

Googling though I see they're 15.
Well. Thats creepy.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 29, 2020, 07:35:51 AM
I can just hear the simultaneous nods of approval and fists being shook at those royals who didn't choose appropriate brides.

Well. Thats creepy.

That's how it was done in the good ole' times, not all of this "liberal monarchies, let them marry for love" nonsense.

United Kingdom of Spain and Denmark. I'm all the fuck in.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2020, 07:38:29 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 29, 2020, 07:35:51 AM

Well. Thats creepy.

That's how it was done in the good ole' times, not all of this "liberal monarchies, let them marry for love" nonsense.

United Kingdom of Spain and Denmark. I'm all the fuck in.

From Greenland to Gibraltar, from the Faroes to the Canaries.

Josquius

All hail the kings of ice and ash.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

:lol:

With all the love in the world to our Danes - I'm not sure what Spain is getting out of that bargain :P

I could be wrong but I feel like the deposed royalty in Europe have a big habit of inter-marrying, presumably for some bizarre status reason :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

How many deposed royals are there in Europe? Your daddy or granddaddy having been king isn't enough to make you royalty, deposed or otherwise.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Catholics and Protestants intermarrying? :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

God this is grim - but exceptional journalism:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/ztdfudx91d/the-boarding-school-monster-who-always-walked-free?at_custom3=Regional+BBC+Midlands&at_custom4=7271FEC2-18E6-11EB-811A-CDFE39982C1E&at_medium=custom7&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=link&at_campaign=64

About a headmaster who was charged with 100 sexual offences against children, was investigated by the police seven times in six decades, went on trial five times (the last in 2016 when he was 97) and each time juries and judges found in his favour.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 29, 2020, 08:08:31 AM
:lol:

With all the love in the world to our Danes - I'm not sure what Spain is getting out of that bargain :P

I could be wrong but I feel like the deposed royalty in Europe have a big habit of inter-marrying, presumably for some bizarre status reason :hmm:

Thinking about it it makes sense.

Your only "claim to fame" is your heredity.  If you keep inter-marrying with 'commoners' you're diluting that heredity.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

I googled to see if this was actually a thing or people just "shipping" the two of them.  (turns out, yes, it's totally just baseless speculation).

But I did learn the two of them are both descended from Queen Victoria, making them some level of cousins.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2020, 11:30:55 AM

I googled to see if this was actually a thing or people just "shipping" the two of them.  (turns out, yes, it's totally just baseless speculation).

But I did learn the two of them are both descended from Queen Victoria, making them some level of cousins.

Yeah, our gossip mags are obsessed with royalty (Spanish and foreign) and they've decided to ship them, because they're cute, royal, and of the same age. But I definitely want this to happen.  :lol:

The fact that they are distant cousins makes the thing more proper, even.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2020, 11:30:55 AM

Hmmmm...

So Princess Leonor is Queen Vickie's um...let's see

Princess Beatrix had Victoria Eugenie who had Don Juan of Barcelona who had Juan Carlos I who had Felipe VI who had Leonor.

So Vickie is Leonor's Great-Great-Great-Great Grandmother.

And it looks like Vickie is also Prince Christian's Great-Great-Great-Great Grandmother

So we are talking 5th cousins. That is barely related even for normal people, much less by royal standards :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."