Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2020, 08:51:20 AM
I quite like the old one :blush:

But I love mid-century in general.

I didn't hate it. But stepping inside (which I did once, in 2007 or so? - since then the passport office is in a different building in town) was like stepping into a 1980s time capsule. If you look at the official buildings in Deutschland '83, you get an idea of what I mean. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

My funniest embassy moment was during my first months in Vienna, working a student job. We were in a side office of the company in an old apartment building. We walked up the stairs to the 5th floor and I looked at the door signs and it went something like this:
- Huber
- Adler
- Embassy of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan
- Schneider
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

:lol:

Reminds me of the North Korean Embassy in London which is in a semi in Hammersmith:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

:D

From my current office I can look into the windows of the Syrian embassy across the street. They share the building with a consultancy firm and an IT firm, I think, and probably other parties.

Vienna has a ton of embassies and adjunct locations for a city its size thanks to the UN, IAEA, OPEC, OSCE ...
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

As a concierge summer job, I remember delivering mail to the embassy of Nepal in Paris. Part of the building, the neighborhood was not really an embassy or consulate neighborhood but had a few.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2020, 08:55:11 AM
Something that I find interesting (others may not), the only Sumerian origin modern English word: abyss :ph34r:

Dictionaries say Greek (aboussos)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on August 06, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 06, 2020, 01:41:24 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on August 06, 2020, 01:38:25 AM
Heard on the BBC this morning a gent saying that Britain "needs a national beaver strategy" so that "beavers can be rolled out all across England".  :hmm:

Must be connected to the "eat out to help out" strategy  :hmm:

Yes, please. :)

It will have a beneficial effect for the mental health of the nation  :cool:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2020, 11:39:50 AM
Something that I find interesting (others may not), the only Sumerian origin modern English word: abyss :ph34r:

David Abulafia out there weaving his tissue of lies <_<

Edit: Apparently there's a belief the Greek may come from Abzu the Sumerian word for the fathomless deep/primordial ocean.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Interestingly, there are some words that came to English through Akkadian loan words found in Hebrew via the Bible, like "Babel" (from bab-ileu, or gate of god), but allegedly none made it into English via Hebrew from Sumerian.

There were some Sumerian loan words in Hebrew, but none made it into English.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2020, 12:24:33 PM

David Abulafia out there weaving his tissue of lies <_<

Edit: Apparently there's a belief the Greek may come from Abzu the Sumerian word for the fathomless deep/primordial ocean.

Probably Greek, since the Latin abyssus has a y, so abyssos not aboussos in latinised Greek.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on August 07, 2020, 12:41:56 PM

Interestingly, there are some words that came to English through Akkadian loan words found in Hebrew via the Bible, like "Babel" (from bab-ileu, or gate of god), but allegedly none made it into English via Hebrew from Sumerian.

There were some Sumerian loan words in Hebrew, but none made it into English.

Gotta be some loan words Sumer. Amorite?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

The minister president of North-Rhine-Westphalia and candidates for regional elections (all from the Christian conservative party CDU):

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Soon we can rid ourselves of the tie...that most ridiculous of fashion accessories.

jimmy olsen

Vietnamese embassy in Seoul was in a trailer. Though I think the staff lived in some nice old buildings on the property.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

My new cats caught a mouse. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017