News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Why are we still there?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 20, 2018, 01:18:33 PM
Why are we still there?

Because we made commitments to the people there. Same reason we usually get stuck someplace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 20, 2018, 01:18:33 PM
Why are we still there?

That's a different form of analysis than offering a historical explanation for why the US went there in the first place.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Maladict

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 20, 2018, 01:15:49 PM
Apparently not. A source who will remain anonymous was reporting that one of his students - an officer - was unable to give the reason why the US was in Afghanistan.

It would have been the correct answer if the question had been about Iraq.

The Minsky Moment

There is a sound pedagogical purpose.  The danger of teaching military history to officers is that you run the risk they could use that knowledge to avoid committing past mistakes.  That would then deprive an entire generation of officers and soldiers the opportunity of learning from those mistakes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

The book on early 20th century wars in East Asia I had to give up on (see book thread) was written by a professor at the U.S. Naval War College. The book was aimed at knuckledraggers and worse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 20, 2018, 01:58:04 PM
There is a sound pedagogical purpose.  The danger of teaching military history to officers is that you run the risk they could use that knowledge to avoid committing past mistakes.  That would then deprive an entire generation of officers and soldiers the opportunity of learning from those mistakes.

:lol:

derspiess

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 17, 2018, 09:44:58 PM
Speculating on real estate?

Some new hire stuff for a company I joined after having consulted with them for a while.  The office is in Southfield.  Everything even once in the he burbs seems run-down.

I did find a good brewery with in Novi.  But unfortunately I'm not in the good brewery part of Michigan.

Note: any errors in my typing are due to this shitty iPhone keyboard.  My company made me use a damned iPhone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I'm trying to decide what to have catered for July 4th party. Chick-Fil-A or City Barbecue.

Leaning towards the Barbecue because of the Banana pudding and Peach Cobbler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

My brother told me Chik-Fil-A's super secret ingredient is pickle juice in the breading.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2018, 08:18:38 PM
My brother told me Chik-Fil-A's super secret ingredient is pickle juice in the breading.

Which possibly explains the high salt content of their delicious chicken.

Eddie Teach

I don't believe it. Pickles are gross.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Tamas

ulmont

It's not.  It's a long salt/sugar brine of the chicken and then getting a little extra milk into the breading flour to add additional nooks and crannies.  Serious Eats did a pretty thorough analysis over there:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-a-chick-fil-a-sandwich-at-home.html