News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

With Canada Day approaching and tensions with the US greater than normal, a local paper has published a list of reasons why Canada is better than the US.

The best reason on the list:

Our obnoxious reality TV star failed miserably at politics!

For the rest of the list:

http://vancouversun.com/news/canada/here-are-the-ways-canada-is-indisputably-better-than-the-united-states/wcm/e695e4ed-89f5-43c5-ac02-6eafd1e131a0

Barrister

It's not so much that O'Leary failed - it's that he withdrew.  He still had far more name recognition going for him, and I still think he could easily have won (even with all his warts).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2018, 03:44:46 PM
It's not so much that O'Leary failed - it's that he withdrew. 

So he succeed and withdrew... :P

Josquius

I'm considering taking  week or so and flying to Toulouse, renting a car and driving to Andorra and the various nice castles around that part o France.
Anyone been?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2018, 05:39:55 AM
I'm considering taking  week or so and flying to Toulouse, renting a car and driving to Andorra and the various nice castles around that part o France.
Anyone been?

Why Andorra of all places? Just to be able to say that you've been there?  :P AFAIK the place is not really interesting at all, so you'd be better off visiting other places in Southern France or the Pyrinees area.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2018, 06:58:20 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2018, 05:39:55 AM
Anyone been?

Why Andorra of all places? Just to be able to say that you've been there?  :P AFAIK the place is not really interesting at all, so you'd be better off visiting other places in Southern France or the Pyrinees area.
Yes. Just to tick a country off the list pretty much.
Though there are definitely some interesting castles in that corner of France so it wouldn't be a completely stupid waste of time.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Hey beeb, what are the odds that you'll deal with the two main characters in this video?

https://youtu.be/DLs-KAE5zr4

Tamas

celedhring

Wikipedia blocked its Spanish version until the bill was rejected. A few days more and the entire Spanish journalist industry would have collapsed.

Tamas

:lol:

The concept is ridiculous.

The BBC covered it this morning... they  invited a guy from the Phonographic Organisation or somesuch who described what an awesome idea Article 13 to "level the playing field". The reporter thanked him and moved on.

Valmy

The EU has some sort of mechanism to block idiotic laws? Well that puts it above most European countries. Well...countries I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2018, 09:22:08 AM
The EU has some sort of mechanism to block idiotic laws? Well that puts it above most European countries. Well...countries I guess.

Well there was a bill and the EP voted it down. This is unusual as  I understand, because the EP is the dumping ground of MPs from national politics, so they usually just vote whatever is put in front of them.

But this was the most idiotic and damaging proposal I can remember, so sanity (and no doubt Facebook and Google "lobbying") prevailed.

celedhring

EU-level copyright rules are ancient by internet standards (2001), so an update is necessary. But this proposal was ridiculously draconian.