And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2018, 04:38:58 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 23, 2018, 10:17:53 PM
Why are there so many fat cheerleaders then?

They aren't.

The correct answer was: somebody needs to be the base of the pyramid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Republican senate candidate from Virginia: http://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/393927-gop-candidate-civil-war-wasnt-about-slavery?__twitter_impression=true

QuoteRepublican Senate nominee Corey Stewart said that he doesn't believe that the Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery, arguing that it was mostly about states' rights.

In a Monday interview with Hill.TV's "Rising," Stewart, who recently won the GOP nomination in the Virginia Senate race, said that not all parts of Virginia's history are "pretty."

But he said he doesn't associate slavery with the war.

"I don't at all. If you look at the history, that's not what it meant at all, and I don't believe that the Civil War was ultimately fought over the issue of slavery," Stewart said.

When "Rising" co-host Krystal Ball pressed him again if the Civil War was "significantly" fought over slavery, Stewart said some of them talked about slavery, but added that most soldiers never owned slaves and "they didn't fight to preserve the institution of slavery."

"We have to put ourselves in the shoes of the people who were fighting at that time and from their perspective, they saw it as a federal intrusion of the state," he said.

Stewart also said he doesn't support a Richmond elementary school named after a Confederate general deciding to rename it after former President Obama.

"I'm not opposed to somebody naming a school after a president of the United States, even though I don't like Barack Obama," Stewart said. "Don't take the name of a historic figure off a school. That is political correctness run amuck."

Stewart, the chairman of the Prince William County Board of Supervisors, has been a outspoken defender of Confederate monuments. That was the centerpiece of Stewart's campaign when he ran in the Virginia governor's race in 2017 and came surprisingly close to the GOP nomination.

During his Senate campaign, Stewart has been a vocal supporter of President Trump. Stewart previously worked as a co-chairman of Trump's presidential campaign in Virginia. He went on to eke out a win over a more moderate GOP challenger, state Del. Nick Freitas.

Stewart will face off against Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine, who was Hillary Clinton's running mate in 2016.

Kaine is heavily favored in his reelection race in the blue-leaning state. Clinton won Virginia by more than 5 points in 2016—a bigger margin of victory than former President Barack Obama. And a recent poll from Roanoke College found Kaine ahead of Stewart by 11 points.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2018, 10:43:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2018, 04:17:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2018, 11:52:25 AM
Why are there so many fatties on high school dance teams?

Because, the average American is fat, so it is not surprising to see fat people in general.

The average American High Schooler isn't. FFS.

Well, depends on what you think a fat person looks like. 

The CDC defines someone as overweight as the 85th percentile and less than the 95th percentile of BMI for young people of the same age and sex.  Obese youth are defined above the 95th.  That is perhaps a good measure for when to intervene, but a person can look fat before they get to the 85th percentile.  But even by those measures a whooping 25% of Americans children, between 6 and 19 were obese - https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/obesity/facts.htm

Another study of of just American high school students found 16% were overweight and 13% were obese https://stateofobesity.org/high-school-obesity/

That is 29% that is 85% or above.  Note that does not mean that someone in the say 70-84% range isn't fat.  They just don't meet the CDC definition of overweight.

garbon

"a person can look fat"

"29%" = average American High Schooler

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2018, 10:26:25 AM
"a person can look fat"

"29%" = average American High Schooler

:rolleyes:

:huh:

who said 29% = average.  29% of high school students are certainly fat.   

mongers

I now have an American as my dentist, he was a bit aghast that someone could not have been to the dentist for 6 years; man he's got a lot to learn about us Brits.  :bowler: (missing teeth)

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I haven't been in over a decade.  :blush:

DGuller

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2018, 09:22:18 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 25, 2018, 09:14:40 PM
Why?

Until a couple years ago, lack of insurance. Now, inertia.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2018, 12:04:04 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2018, 09:22:18 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 25, 2018, 09:14:40 PM
Why?

Until a couple years ago, lack of insurance. Now, inertia.
That's something that you may want to re-examine.  Dental issues have a way of snowballing over time.

Jacob

Gameshow concept: Some things in this room are made of chocolate. Some are not made of chocolate. Bite the ones you think are chocolate.

Link: https://kotaku.com/can-you-tell-whats-chocolate-and-what-isnt-asks-japa-1496174116

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2018, 06:26:00 PM
I now have an American as my dentist, he was a bit aghast that someone could not have been to the dentist for 6 years; man he's got a lot to learn about us Brits.  :bowler: (missing teeth)

You now have a radioactive smile right?

(Yeah Americans, we stereotype your awful teeth too :p)
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2018, 02:59:21 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2018, 06:26:00 PM

You now have a radioactive smile right?

(Yeah Americans, we stereotype your awful teeth too :p)

No, but he did have a noticeably white set of tombstones.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"