News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I've been OD-ing on Isle of Man TT and Ulster GP videos on YouTube the past days. I can't get over those guys.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

I think it sucks the Russians are banned. They cheat and still lose. It is great.

It is also a bad precedent. The Russians can easily (and correctly) point out that lots of athletes from other countries are doping. Coaches are likely involved. At what point will others be banned?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on December 05, 2017, 04:52:19 PM
What has the environment ever done for you?

You mean, apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on December 05, 2017, 06:16:02 PM
I think it sucks the Russians are banned. They cheat and still lose. It is great.

It is also a bad precedent. The Russians can easily (and correctly) point out that lots of athletes from other countries are doping. Coaches are likely involved. At what point will others be banned?

Plenty of individual athletes and coaches can be banned if caught, and indeed have been.  The difference is that there was clear evidence of institutionalized, systematic cheating by not just Russian athletes and coaches, but the whole Russian Olympic apperatus.

There are probably other countries where there is systematic cheating going on.  If they get caught, ban them, too.  I think this sets a good precedent, not a bad one.

DGuller

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 05, 2017, 02:17:10 PM
Russia just got owned by the IOC of all things lol
Sucks to be a non-Russian athlete, though.  If FSB could swap dirty samples and clean samples for Russian athletes, they can probably do the reverse for non-Russian athletes as well.  We know how much the Russians believe in tit-for-tat, and they've already hacked WADA once to exact revenge.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 05, 2017, 04:42:36 PM
Agreed.  The environmental toll is  awful especially given the non-existent social utility generated.
If bitcoin is the alternative to building and flipping condos in condo towers that stay dark every evening, then it's a good trade.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on December 05, 2017, 08:15:23 PM
Sucks to be a non-Russian athlete, though.  If FSB could swap dirty samples and clean samples for Russian athletes, they can probably do the reverse for non-Russian athletes as well.  We know how much the Russians believe in tit-for-tat, and they've already hacked WADA once to exact revenge.

:tinfoil:
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Fuck
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2017, 02:31:17 AM

:tinfoil:
If you read the Russian sports media, which I occasionally peruse, you will notice that the talking point for some time has been that Americans are hypocrites and all their athletes are doped up, while all Russians did was take some pill that wasn't even illegal at the time.  A lot of seemingly respectable sporting officials and athletes say things like "Look at Williams brothers, are you honestly going to tell me they're not doped up?"

It doesn't take much of a leap to think that the Russians will find the reputation of American athletes an attractive target for retaliation, given that they already doxed them in the past.  Every time Simone Biles is mentioned in the Russian media for whatever reason, there is always a paragraph mentioning how her Ritalin use was exposed by some hacker group.

Valmy

Man do the Russians never get tired of blaming us for their crimes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I very much doubt that you'll buy me a gift.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Today is a bittersweet day for Roy Moore.  It marks two important anniversaries.  Today in history the 13th amendment was ratified.  On the other other hand, Nabokov completed his masterpiece Lolita, which really speaks to him for some reason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2017, 01:03:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2017, 12:51:07 PM
I very much doubt that you'll buy me a gift.

He's hoping that you'll reciprocate with his heart's desire:

https://www.zazzle.com/donald_trump_45_president_plate-256487182733221362

Need to move some Obama plates to make room for that one. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall