News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2017, 02:45:05 PM
I found out today that the catcher on my old little league team was convicted of domestic battery.  I told my best friend about it and he said that was a relief in a way-- he no longer has to feel guilty for plowing him over and knocking him out cold during a play at home.

What an asshole.  Getting caught like that.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Terminale with extreme prejudice.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on November 29, 2017, 10:13:07 PM
What the fuck France?

I think it dates back to a time when kindergarten were becoming 'fashionable' in western education, I happened to go early UK example*, though the age range was about 3.5-5 years, so what is now termed pre-school here.   

edit:
I assumed you were talking about that term, though Money is more likely to be, well on the money.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

The count down is weird too. And the acronym stage. It's all weird. Only kindergarten makes sense.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

It's not called kindergarten. It's called maternelle. And it's for kids between 2 and 6, though only mandatory starting at 6. Acronyms stand for « preparatory course », « elementary course » and « middle course ».
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

What the fuck France?

Huh.
I knew America had that weird freshman, sophomore, etc thing that I can never remember  going on, though didn't realise it was a year behind otherwise.
Puts tv shows in a different light that they were year 8s rather than year 7s.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

When I was a kid, it was -

Kindergarten lower, middle, upper
Primary 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Form 6 is divided into lower 6 and upper 6, each comprising one year. 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 30, 2017, 12:48:33 AM
It's not called kindergarten. It's called maternelle. And it's for kids between 2 and 6, though only mandatory starting at 6. Acronyms stand for « preparatory course », « elementary course » and « middle course ».

Most kids attend maternelle, though it's not compulsory as you pointed out.

I still remember CP and the like called by the following names (in French not the following translations).

CP: 11th grade
CE1: 10th grade
CE2: 9th grade
CM1: 8th grade
CM2: 7th grade

PS: some years ago, a PS Assemblée Nationale member said "maternelle" was sexist.  :D

Zanza

My school years were numbered:

Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... but then it went on in Latin and also counted downwards: Sexta, Quinta, Quarta, Lower Tertia,  Upper Tertia, Lower Sekunda, Upper Sekunda, Lower Prima, Upper Prima

Grey Fox

What the fuck France?

and you don't have kids watching American Disney shows translated in France going "college this, college that" which is the equivalent of Middle school!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on November 30, 2017, 02:36:12 AM
When I was a kid, it was -

Kindergarten lower, middle, upper
Primary 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Form 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Form 6 is divided into lower 6 and upper 6, each comprising one year.

No surprise that ours were rather similar to yours.

Kindergarten
Primary (infants) sch 1st, 2nd yr
Junior sch. 1st, 2nd 3rd yr
Senior sch. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th yr

Post-16 was:
6th form college, Lower 6th Upper 6th.

University, I don't recall any special names for year cohorts, other than being 1st year student, then people being a PhD student, post-doc etc.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Grundskola:
Första klass ("ettan")
Andra klass ("tvåan")
Nionde klass ("nian")

Gymnasium:
Första ring ("ettan" or "ettan gymnasiet")
Andra ring ("tvåan" or "tvåan gymnasiet")
Tredje ring ("trean" or "trean gymnasiet")

Universitet: No special names beyond "första året" etc
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2017, 09:40:31 AM
What the fuck France?

They have all the best words :frog:

That's not the issue, the issue is that reused words & gave them a different meaning.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.