And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Huh.  Hugh Hefner died. 

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Josquius

When you've just had it up to here with work and then some crap happens on your way home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4-iBzCFlU

Car chase through central Tokyo....
Only need watch the start and that guy's reaction.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

QuoteSiemens Alstom, rumour to reality

The greatest stories always begin off camera. This one is no exception. It only seemed to come from nowhere when, on the 21st of September, rumours of a budding romance between Alstom and Siemens Mobility began swirling. In reality, the Siemens-Alstom script is the fruit of thorough strategic reflection and due diligence. The next day, on the 22nd, the rumours became more intense when Alstom confirmed that something was indeed going on, but that no decisions had been made by either party. It made sense. There had long been talk of consolidation in the railway sector and of Alstom's desire to play an active role. Then, on Tuesday 26th at 21:50 in Paris, it became official. The Memorandum of Understanding had been signed. A joint press conference was locked in for the following day. Cue the lights. Cue the cameras. Action!

Apparently our PR men and women have a background in writing promos for romance novels.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

that's.. that's not real? right, you made that statement up.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2017, 09:16:49 AM

No, no I didn't.  That was on our corporate daily news e-mail, so it might have been just for the peons.  I don't think so, though, it sounds like someone put some effort into that one.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I'm masturbating to it right now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2017, 09:05:50 AM
QuoteSiemens Alstom, rumour to reality

The greatest stories always begin off camera. This one is no exception. It only seemed to come from nowhere when, on the 21st of September, rumours of a budding romance between Alstom and Siemens Mobility began swirling. In reality, the Siemens-Alstom script is the fruit of thorough strategic reflection and due diligence. The next day, on the 22nd, the rumours became more intense when Alstom confirmed that something was indeed going on, but that no decisions had been made by either party. It made sense. There had long been talk of consolidation in the railway sector and of Alstom's desire to play an active role. Then, on Tuesday 26th at 21:50 in Paris, it became official. The Memorandum of Understanding had been signed. A joint press conference was locked in for the following day. Cue the lights. Cue the cameras. Action!

Apparently our PR men and women have a background in writing promos for romance novels.

The email didn't carry through to the money shot. Disappointed.  :(

(And no, I will not make a pun based on "Siemens". That would be undignified).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2017, 10:23:34 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2017, 09:16:49 AM

No, no I didn't.  That was on our corporate daily news e-mail, so it might have been just for the peons.  I don't think so, though, it sounds like someone put some effort into that one.

Yep, spellchecker at the very least, a commendable effort!  :cheers:

QuoteBudding Romance
:lmfao:

Josquius

Visiting a different department I have a snoop in their supply cupboard.

For some reason it contains hotel lobby style bells.

I cannot think why these are needed in a normal office situation. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2017, 11:10:13 AM

That would about get you killed in some places I've worked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2017, 11:12:56 AM

America?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2017, 11:42:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2017, 11:12:56 AM

America?

In Germany it just gets you sent to the cooler.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I have never eaten Mustard before, as weird as that sounds.  I kinda like it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017