News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

be better if it made fun of the British currency.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

sbr

Speaking of currency, what is the deal with Canadian currency? The bills were fine but ugly and strange but the coins frightened and confused me. Lunch on my last day I just handed the gal at the counter all my money and had her pick through it to get what she needed.

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on August 30, 2017, 12:58:58 PM
Speaking of currency, what is the deal with Canadian currency? The bills were fine but ugly and strange but the coins frightened and confused me. Lunch on my last day I just handed the gal at the counter all my money and had her pick through it to get what she needed.

:huh:

We got rid of the penny (just round to the nearest $0.05).  Nickels, dimes and quarters are identical to the US.

Then you have:

Which clearly states "Canada Dollar", and is naturally worth one dollar.  It's called a loonie because it has a loon on it.

And finally you have:

Which clearly states "Canada 2 Dollars".  It's called a toonie because it's worth two bucks, and to rhyme with loonie.

It's sounds like you're just easily frightened and confused if a few coins threw you off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It takes a little bit of work for an American to distinguish between the loon and tune, especially if it's dark.  Also the quarter loon doesn't have a ridged edge so it's not super obvious it's not a loonickel.

Admiral Yi

I would also like a little more color contrast between the 20, 10, and 5.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2017, 01:28:16 PM

Says the American whose money is all the same colour?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2017, 01:32:25 PM

I think that was the joke ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

If you can't take a little constructive criticism maybe we should just ditch this whole NAFTA thing.  :mad:

alfred russel

It is disconcerting to handle a currency that is backed by a government with an insufficient nuclear arsenal and that could only cover one beach during D Day. You guys are in danger of collapsing at any moment. If your diplomat negotiating over those islands by the north pole has a bad day and says the wrong thing, tomorrow we may wake up to Danish flags flying over Toronto (or wherever your capital is these days).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

I bet Jacob's already got one ready. :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I say we do the old German Dooshmark thing, where the bigger the denomination the bigger the bill.  $1,000 bill = 11" x 17" landscape

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2017, 02:13:14 PM
I say we do the old German Dooshmark thing, where the bigger the denomination the bigger the bill.  $1,000 bill = 11" x 17" landscape

The current Euro bills are like that.

They haven't had physical deutsch marks in 15 years Seedy. :lol:

Iormlund

Money be green!