News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Seems abbreviation is the main source of conflict. We should just use the terms ice hockey, field hockey, American football and association football and then everybody will know what they're talking about.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Why is the pound doing so lousy lately  :cry:

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2009, 07:07:34 PM
Seems abbreviation is the main source of conflict. We should just use the terms ice hockey, field hockey, American football and association football and then everybody will know what they're talking about.  :)
Non-ice hockey isn't just played on fields though, I've most commonly seen it on hard surfaces. 'tis a odd name.

Assosiation footy/American football is fine though.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 06:56:12 PM
I have taken the trouble to re-read the last few pages.

Yi, the above post is the point at which you went off the rails, when you misunderstood what the 34% referred to - and if you will read the post two down from this one, you will see that Peter also thought you were talking about driving on the left when you made it, as he brought up Japan and South East Africa.

Actually the first person to mention South East Asia was you, so I do take back the bit about South East Asia referring to the discussion about driving on the left, and I extend my apologies. I am sorry that I posted :groan: as it was inappropriate in response to your post mentioning South East Asia.
There were two statements in your original post.

34% of the world drives on the left.
That's better odds than you Northamericanos have with calling Ice Hockey "Hockey".

When I replied that I didn't think Indians + you was *greater* than 34% I thought it was enough to show that I was referring to the second.  But I can see now that there was a potential for confusion in my post, so I understand why you jumped the rails and misunderstood, and apologize for calling you a bit of a prick and kind of stupid.

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2009, 07:10:27 PM
There were two statements in your original post.

34% of the world drives on the left.
That's better odds than you Northamericanos have with calling Ice Hockey "Hockey".

When I replied that I didn't think Indians + you was *greater* than 34% I thought it was enough to show that I was referring to the second.  But I can see now that there was a potential for confusion in my post, so I understand why you jumped the rails and misunderstood, and apologize for calling you a bit of a prick and kind of stupid.

:hug:

Thanks...I always thought we got on well when I was a more regular poster years ago, so I was a bit upset about this tiff.

Nice bit of knowledge with India, by the way - when I was growing up European teams were dominating hockey so I did not immediately connect India with hockey. Having had to do a bit of research over the last day or so, I have discovered that India is probably the world powerhouse of hockey, a fact you obviously already knew.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2009, 07:09:21 PM
Non-ice hockey isn't just played on fields though, I've most commonly seen it on hard surfaces. 'tis a odd name.

Assosiation footy/American football is fine though.

I also would have no issue with use of the terms "Association Football"/"American Football". It fits in with the whole football family ("Rugby Football", "Gaelic Football", "Australian Rules Football" etc.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

DisturbedPervert

Here is a map of the most popular sport in each country.  Don't see Girl Hockey anywhere.  It'd be interesting to see the next several big sports in each country.

Also cool that archery is the most popular sport in Bhutan.

Agelastus

I can understand why the former Spanish possession of the Western Sahara and East Timor have no data, but do you have any idea why French Guiana and French Caledonia cannot supply any data? It seems very odd. :huh:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2009, 08:30:29 AM
Yeah?  What do they talk about in it?

I don't really remember, although I recall being quite disappointed. I think it was artsy/feminist stuff with some lesbianism thrown in. Not really what you expect from an alluring title like Bitch. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Agelastus on September 17, 2009, 07:47:45 PM
I can understand why the former Spanish possession of the Western Sahara and East Timor have no data, but do you have any idea why French Guiana and French Caledonia cannot supply any data? It seems very odd. :huh:

Because who ever made the map forgot to put the same colors there then whats popular in France. There's barely anyone in French Guinea (220k) anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Is Australian Rule Football, Rugby?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2009, 08:19:08 PM

No, but its probably closer to Rugby than standard Association Football.

That's the impression I, who knows very little about ARF, get anyway.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2009, 08:19:08 PM
Like rugby except they have jump balls and the refs dress like meat inspectors.

DisturbedPervert

In Aussie Rules they have to bounce the ball as they run and they can't throw it and have to hand off or kick the ball to pass.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DisturbedPervert

Watched yesterday's Celebrity Jeopardy on youtube.

Scores before Final Jeopardy

Wolf Blitzer  $-4,600
Andy Richter  $39,000

:lol: