News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2017, 01:06:45 PM
Silly fun fact I've just read: Chinese nationals represent 1/3 of global sales of luxury products, yet only 7% of global sales are delivered to mainland China. Either Mono is packing those LVMH's in Hong Kong, or wealthy Chinese emigration is a bigger phenomenon than I thought.
Don't they just fly to Europe and then empty the entire Galleries Lafayette in Paris or the Oberpollinger in Munich? There are masses of Chinese tourists these days in Europe (and elsewhere) and from what I heard they and the Arabs buy all those luxury articles in masses.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2017, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2017, 12:22:25 PM
If they're a nuisance, kill them.  But I love my squirrels.

In other wildlife news, for the second time in a couple years I almost ran over a box turtle on the street where I live.  Stopped the car, picked him up, and put him back into the treeline pointing the other direction.  Both times I had my kids with me and we had a quick impromptu Animal Ecology class.  I should have put him in the woods behind my house.  Lots of thick vegetation and a fairly steep hill for him to have to climb to get to the road.

Asshole neighbors feeds them.

The biggest benefactor of my predation are the trees. They are really enjoying not having 20+ rats going around their limbs.

Unless they're getting into your house, what is the big deal with squirrels?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2017, 01:16:36 PM
Silly fun fact I've just read: Chinese nationals represent 1/3 of global sales of luxury products, yet only 7% of global sales are delivered to mainland China. Either Mono is packing those LVMH's in Hong Kong, or wealthy Chinese emigration is a bigger phenomenon than I thought.
Don't they just fly to Europe and then empty the entire Galleries Lafayette in Paris or the Oberpollinger in Munich? There are masses of Chinese tourists these days in Europe (and elsewhere) and from what I heard they and the Arabs buy all those luxury articles in masses.

Cheaper to buy that stuff when traveling than to buy it at home?  That's why Argies go on such spending sprees here in the US, anyway.  Or they just have crap shipped to my house before we fly down there.  OH YES I'LL BRING THAT DOWN I GUESS I DON'T NEED TO BRING CLOTHES
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2017, 01:19:58 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2017, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2017, 12:22:25 PM
If they're a nuisance, kill them.  But I love my squirrels.

In other wildlife news, for the second time in a couple years I almost ran over a box turtle on the street where I live.  Stopped the car, picked him up, and put him back into the treeline pointing the other direction.  Both times I had my kids with me and we had a quick impromptu Animal Ecology class.  I should have put him in the woods behind my house.  Lots of thick vegetation and a fairly steep hill for him to have to climb to get to the road.

Asshole neighbors feeds them.

The biggest benefactor of my predation are the trees. They are really enjoying not having 20+ rats going around their limbs.

Unless they're getting into your house, what is the big deal with squirrels?

For some reason they avoid my house but they destroy my vegetable garden, the sand playground, the trees, the kids play table, bury peanuts everywhere while my kid is allergic to peanuts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2017, 01:16:36 PM

Ah of course, that's a better explanation. I'm thick sometimes.

Admiral Yi

I've never heard of squirrels fucking with gardens before.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2017, 02:12:49 PM

They don't.  GF is just a rabid anti-squirreltite.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on July 11, 2017, 10:09:35 AM
We still have token tellers in Toronto. They're the ones who look busy doing... something?

Alright...I was just being sarcastic...sheesh.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2017, 03:39:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2017, 02:12:49 PM

They don't.  GF is just a rabid anti-squirreltite.

No, they're seriously conspiring to expose his kids to peanuts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2017, 11:51:18 AM
I have a squirrel infestation at home, so I bought a live trap to catch them.

Over the course of 6-7 weeks, I've caught 19, relocated 18 (one escaped before relocation). 4 remains, 1 is bleach white, but I think they learn that the cage means bad news.

Fucking Squirrels.

Thats how you get uber intelligent super squirrels.
Do you want your children to live under the squirrel jack boot?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

There will be no super squirrels, eventually they will all get relocated. Relocation is permanent.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2017, 06:35:21 PM
There will be no super squirrels, eventually they will all get relocated. Relocation is permanent.

That's your final solution to the squirrel problem?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

They buy those things elsewhere.  They come to Hong Kong, go to Europe etc.  A couple of reasons for this.  First, there is heavy Chinese tariff on luxury goods.  The Chinese currency is still doing ok.  These mean that it is cheaper to buy an expensive LV bag in Europe than it is to buy the same bag in China.  Secondly, there are far too many fake goods in China.  Even if the bag is the same price in Hong Kong/Europe and the mainland, they'll tend to buy it in HK/Europe, because they think it isn't safe to buy it in China.  That's why the Chinese tourists are everywhere.  They come to HK to buy very basic stuff like toilet paper, milk powder, drugs etc, because they don't trust their own merchants. 

Ed Anger

WHERE THE FUCK IS SEEDY? I need my nightly abuse. All that is left is assburgers and autistics.

Ah, fuck it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I'm doing my own Tuesday night ritual, man.

https://youtu.be/bNamJRsbRQE