Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2017, 08:07:27 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2017, 12:35:27 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 09, 2017, 10:04:03 PM
1 guy wanted to be a comedian but was too afraid of becoming destitute he took a government job instead.

It is my destiny to work in a bank.  I chickened out and accepted mediocrity.

What kind of banking job did you have in mind?

Whatever makes money  :lol:  The idea was to become an accountant first, then make the jump to finance.  Somehow.  Obviously I gave up before I started step zero. 

Syt

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron cosplay:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2017, 08:15:59 AM
Branch manager. Gotta keep those tellers in line.

What are tellers? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

The people that ATM's replaced.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on July 11, 2017, 09:50:50 AM

Oh yeah, I remember them. Whatever happened to them.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

They still exist. Not all services have been automated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

They are there from 10am to 2pm.  Next window, please.

derspiess

Quote from: Josephus on July 11, 2017, 09:59:04 AM

We still have lots of them.  Some of our banks have tried to go tellerless but for the most part it hasn't gained acceptance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

We still have token tellers in Toronto. They're the ones who look busy doing... something?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2017, 10:05:10 AM
They are there from 10am to 2pm.  Next window, please.

"Open Tuesdays and Thursdays"
"Today is Tuesday!"
"But not Thursday!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2017, 08:06:29 PM
Whatever makes money  :lol:  The idea was to become an accountant first, then make the jump to finance.  Somehow.  Obviously I gave up before I started step zero. 

I'm sure being a bank employee in Hong Kong carries some status, and probably deservedly so.  In the US it really depends on your role and what bank you're with.  FWIW a lot of my experience with bank employees is with tellers that barely graduated high school and back office bookkeepers who think GAAP is a store.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

I don't know who they are but apparently some people still use ATM's, there's still a few around.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2017, 10:05:35 AM

We still have lots of them.  Some of our banks have tried to go tellerless but for the most part it hasn't gained acceptance.

Men should be bankers, women should be tellers.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2017, 10:44:08 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2017, 10:05:35 AM

Men should be bankers, women should be tellers.

Generally how it works, yeah.