News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2017, 04:53:52 PM
We don't tie ourselves into knots over head coverings per se.  We do over coercion and a law who's basis is uncontrollable male lust targeting women.

Seems to me that in most cases where that is claimed it is a post-fact rationalization covering more general anti-muslim sentiment.

dps

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2017, 03:11:35 PM
I read most of the Koran.

Aa has a copy.  Don't know how much of it she's read.  I've read very little of it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 04:59:07 PM
Seems to me that in most cases where that is claimed it is a post-fact rationalization covering more general anti-muslim sentiment.

Present your evidence.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2017, 01:58:41 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 12:54:10 PM
That's the official line, yes.

What do you mean?

Yeah I don't get that either. The official line seemed pretty clear that modest dress and a head covering of some sort was an obligation to women. This seems to be departing from that.

Granted I am not some Islamic expert.

It's what I've gleaned from speaking to Muslim guys and attending classroom lectures on Islam.  It's not there to control women-- oh, no no no-- it's there so men are able to control themselves.  If anything, it's to *protect* women :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2017, 05:04:50 PM

Present your evidence.

Present yours.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on March 31, 2017, 05:04:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2017, 03:11:35 PM
I read most of the Koran.

Aa has a copy.  Don't know how much of it she's read.  I've read very little of it.

I attempted to read it-- got about 1/3 the way through and gave up.  Everything seemed a bit random and disjointed to the point of inflicting pain.  Perhaps it was a bad translation, dunno.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 05:43:10 PM

Present your evidence.

Present yours.

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

DGuller

We don't tie ourselves into knots over head coverings per se.  We do over coercion and a law who's basis is uncontrollable male lust targeting women.

I think a far bigger problem, at least among educated circles, is rationalizing away elements of intolerance and closed-mindedness.  It's okay to be intolerant of intolerance;  in fact, that's the only way to defend the idea of tolerance in the long run.

Admiral Yi

Present yours.

The statements of various people who have spoken or written about Muslim head coverings.

Razgovory

Present your evidence.

Crazy Ivan
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 05:41:47 PM
It's what I've gleaned from speaking to Muslim guys and attending classroom lectures on Islam.  It's not there to control women-- oh, no no no-- it's there so men are able to control themselves.  If anything, it's to *protect* women :rolleyes:

I don't know. I thought there was something about being modest and humble that women had to do in there someplace.

Yeah I thought that the above reasoning didn't shine a good light on the practice. If there are criminals walking around you lock them up, you don't lock up their victims.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I personally find those kinds of requirements pretty obnoxious in any religion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2017, 06:17:46 PM
Present yours.

The statements of various people who have spoken or written about Muslim head coverings.

Yeah me too.

Syt

Austria will raise the minimum age for smoking from 16 to 18 in 2018. Current smoking habits among teens:

Bar charts from left to right - Have tried smoking, smoke regularly, smoke daily
Pie charts - where do they buy Trafik (tobacco shops) or Automat (vending machine)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

You people and your stupid fucking commas.  That's why I couldn't cut Business Statistics the first time, fucking kraut exchange professor fucking my shit up.  1 is not written like ꓥ, godammit.