News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting article on hijab from a muslim perspective: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/muslim-men-hijab-forcing-women-islam-teaching-mohammed-quran-modesty-a7655191.html

TLDR - the author is making a religious argument that the obligation for hijab means that muslim men should refrain from ogling women and thinking impure thoughts, while there is no obligation or right for muslim men to impose "modest dress" on muslim women, much less on non-muslim women.

derspiess

That's the official line, yes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

The Minsky Moment

It's a bit misleading.  The Quranic verses do enjoin men first but then they also enjoin women.  One of the suras refers to a head scarf and covering the neck or bosom (i.e. cleavage).  It does appear to specifically permit the face to be uncovered though.  Face covering probably came from adaptation of Persian customs post-conquest.  Covering of heads or hair OTOH was a pretty ubiquitous custom throughout the ancient and medieval world and quite common in the modern era in both Islamic and non-Islamic settings.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 12:54:10 PM

What do you mean?

Yeah I don't get that either. The official line seemed pretty clear that modest dress and a head covering of some sort was an obligation to women. This seems to be departing from that.

Granted I am not some Islamic expert.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Sampled a bit of the Byzantium podcast. The guy is a bit too stiff, but I guess it's natural given he's just starting. Just checked and he's 130+ eps in and hasn't even got to Manzikert, so I'm sold.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2017, 02:20:43 PM
Sampled a bit of the Byzantium podcast. The guy is a bit too stiff, but I guess it's natural given he's just starting. Just checked and he's 130+ eps in and hasn't even got to Manzikert, so I'm sold.

Yeah he starts off trying to imitate Mike's style and it just does not work. He gets really good as it goes on.

He is not even 100 years until Manzikert yet :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2017, 01:58:41 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 12:54:10 PM

What do you mean?

Yeah I don't get that either. The official line seemed pretty clear that modest dress and a head covering of some sort was an obligation to women. This seems to be departing from that.

Granted I am not some Islamic expert.

No, moose lamb teachings are chock full of heady women-make-us-think-impure-thoughts references ; it's not about women showing deference to Admiral Ackbar.

Didn't anybody here take any courses on Islam in college?

Admiral Yi

HVC

I took some religious classes in high school. Apparently everyone but Catholics are wrong; who knew?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I read most of the Koran.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on March 31, 2017, 03:09:06 PM
I took some religious classes in high school. Apparently everyone but Catholics are wrong; who knew?

Jesus? :P

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2017, 01:10:32 PM
It's a bit misleading.  The Quranic verses do enjoin men first but then they also enjoin women.  One of the suras refers to a head scarf and covering the neck or bosom (i.e. cleavage).  It does appear to specifically permit the face to be uncovered though.  Face covering probably came from adaptation of Persian customs post-conquest.  Covering of heads or hair OTOH was a pretty ubiquitous custom throughout the ancient and medieval world and quite common in the modern era in both Islamic and non-Islamic settings.

Yes. When I was a boy the elderly English women always covered their hair when out and about. Headscarves for day-to-day grocery purchasing, more decorative stuff for evenings out and (for the church-goers) some fantastic confections for Sundays. It is the covering of the face that is so weird and disturbing.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2017, 04:12:59 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 31, 2017, 01:10:32 PM

Yes. When I was a boy the elderly English women always covered their hair when out and about. Headscarves for day-to-day grocery purchasing, more decorative stuff for evenings out and (for the church-goers) some fantastic confections for Sundays. It is the covering of the face that is so weird and disturbing.

AS a kid the stereotype of old Ukrainian babushkas was that they'd be wearing head scarfs - even to the point the head scarf itself could be called a babushka.

The knots we twist ourselves into over muslim headcoverings is so bizarre given they used to be widespread in the west.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2017, 04:46:59 PM
The knots we twist ourselves into over muslim headcoverings is so bizarre given they used to be widespread in the west.

We don't tie ourselves into knots over head coverings per se.  We do over coercion and a law who's basis is uncontrollable male lust targeting women.