Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2017, 05:58:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2017, 05:54:44 PM
I have no idea?

It was "you're fucked."

Lots of people throughout history have been screwed.

This has nothing to do with the notion of what Jews happen to mean by their religious notion of "covenants with God" though.

If your complaint is that God allows bad things to happen to people and nations, well, that's kinda a problem with all religions that posit a God. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2017, 06:01:34 PM

This has nothing to do with the notion of what Jews happen to mean by their religious notion of "covenants with God" though.

If your complaint is that God allows bad things to happen to people and nations, well, that's kinda a problem with all religions that posit a God.

God didn't "allow" bad things to happen to the residents of Jericho.  He took a hand in it.

Eddie Teach

He was listening to Ronald Reagan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2017, 06:04:45 PM

God didn't "allow" bad things to happen to the residents of Jericho.  He took a hand in it.

Still don't see any relevance to how Jews interpret the phrase "chosen people", and why that is allegedly "retarded".

Here's a statement from the principles of Conservative Judaism:

QuoteFew beliefs have been subject to as much misunderstanding as the "Chosen People" doctrine. The Torah and the Prophets clearly stated that this does not imply any innate Jewish superiority. In the words of Amos (3:2) "You alone have I singled out of all the families of the earth—that is why I will call you to account for your iniquities". The Torah tells us that we are to be "a kingdom of priests and a holy nation" with obligations and duties which flowed from our willingness to accept this status. Far from being a license for special privilege, it entailed additional responsibilities not only toward God but to our fellow human beings.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2017, 06:16:55 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2017, 06:04:45 PM

Still don't see any relevance to how Jews interpret the phrase "chosen people", and why that is allegedly "retarded".

QuoteFew beliefs have been subject to as much misunderstanding as the "Chosen People" doctrine. The Torah and the Prophets clearly stated that this does not imply any innate Jewish superiority. In the words of Amos (3:2) "You alone have I singled out of all the families of the earth—that is why I will call you to account for your iniquities". The Torah tells us that we are to be "a kingdom of priests and a holy nation" with obligations and duties which flowed from our willingness to accept this status. Far from being a license for special privilege, it entailed additional responsibilities not only toward God but to our fellow human beings.

That's a lovely and heartwarming statement.  Which has no relationship to a tribal god, who serves as siege artillery during one of his tribe's numerous wars of aggression, being proclaimed the only god.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2017, 06:16:55 PM

So, it's considered a responsibility rather than a privilege. Sort of.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

So my sister got me a tie from her trip to London, I turn it around and read, "The British Museum."

"The British Museum...of..?"
"Oh, nothing else, just 'the British Museum.' It's filled with all the shit they've stolen across the world."   :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Seedy's sis sent him a Monty t-shirt. Due to arrive in 7 days, will actually arrive next year.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2017, 08:29:22 PM
Seedy's sis sent hima Monty t-shirt. Due to arrive in 7 days, will actually arrive next year.

HARHARHAR

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 30, 2017, 08:29:22 PM
Seedy's sis sent him a Monty t-shirt. Due to arrive in 7 days, will actually arrive next year.

"At dawn, we will strike the Anger chateaus HEE-YA and HEE-YA."

Ed Anger

Heh.

Monty has such a punchable face

Ed Anger

HEY WAIT A MINUTE. THE ANGER HOLDINGS WOULD BE IN THE AMERICAN AREA.

Enough of your Jedi mind tricks, seedy.  :glare:

sbr

I still can't figure out how to pull videos out of Tweets but this is the best thing ever

https://twitter.com/dorseyshaw/status/847563000869523458