News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2017, 06:33:08 PM
Is the question why that came to happen? Because then the answer is that it's likely that Yahweh started out as a tribal god and at some point membership of the Hebrew tribes became identified with worship of Yahweh and vice versa.

Is the question how Jews today make sense of that? That will obviously vary with the theology of disparate groups, but as I understand it it is essentially contractual. The Jewish people and God have entered into a mutual covenant whereby they are the Chosen People and God is their God.

I had no question.  I was editorializing about the intellectual failure of elevating a tribal god to a universal god.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2017, 06:40:03 PM
I had no question.  I was editorializing about the intellectual failure of elevating a tribal god to a universal god.

Then your beef is with Christianity.

Valmy

Yeah that was what Isaiah was attempting to do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2017, 06:42:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2017, 06:40:03 PM

No it was already a thing before Christianity came along. I don't understand why it is an intellectual failure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 06:44:29 PM

Unfortunately, the gentile's aircraft carriers were not at Perl at the time.

#TORAH!TORAH!TORAH!

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 06:46:15 PM
No it was already a thing before Christianity came along. I don't understand why it is an intellectual failure.

Yeah you're correct.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2017, 06:48:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 06:44:29 PM

Unfortunately, the gentile's aircraft carriers were not at Perl at the time.

#TORAH!TORAH!TORAH!

*groan*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

No it's not.  There are no chosen people in the New Testament.  The New Testament god is a universal god.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2017, 06:52:36 PM

No it's not.  There are no chosen people in the New Testament.  The New Testament god is a universal god.

The Old Testament God makes that transition as it goes on. Eventually he claims he is the God of everybody, yes the brought them up from Egypt but he also provided for every nation and while he has a soft spot for the Judeans if they keep breaking the covenant he will strike them down the same as he does every other nation. Or rather his prophets say that since God stops talking directly.

CountDeMoney

Well, the first five of the Ten Amendments are about Him, you know.  Doesn't get much more God of Everybody than that.

Admiral Yi

Speaking of Judaism, there's a story I might have told before or not.

When I was in grad school I had (several) Jewish buddies.  One of them said to me, "[Yi], if you want to understand the Jewish male psyche, one thing you have to keep in mind is that every Jewish mother considers it her solemn religious duty to raise her son as if he might be the Messiah."

Valmy: that just sounds to me like another way of saying Yawheh is the only true God and all the other Gods are false.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2017, 07:02:29 PM
Valmy: that just sounds to me like another way of saying Yawheh is the only true God and all the other Gods are false.

The point was letting the Judeans know they weren't as special as they thought they were.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2017, 07:02:29 PM
Speaking of Judaism, there's a story I might have told before or not.

When I was in grad school I had (several) Jewish buddies.  One of them said to me, "[Yi], if you want to understand the Jewish male psyche, one thing you have to keep in mind is that every Jewish mother considers it her solemn religious duty to raise her son as if he might be the Messiah."

That reminds me of the joke in response to that Christmas Song 'Mary Did You Know?'

'Did Mary know? Of course she knew. She was a Jewish Mother.'

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 07:03:58 PM
The point was letting the Judeans know they weren't as special as they thought they were.

Titus and four legions did that with a lot less PowerPoint slides. 

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2017, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2017, 07:03:58 PM

Titus and four legions did that with a lot less PowerPoint slides. 

The Babylonians had their go a bit earlier as well :P