Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2017, 09:20:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 27, 2017, 08:40:48 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2017, 01:49:09 AM
I had the chance to hold and try (well, short of actually shooting a bullet with it) a Berthier carbine from 1916. My pants were a dairy factory

Wow, what kind of red tape did you have to get through in order to do that?

I was with a guy who was pals with the museum guard :p

I'm guessing the recoil was pretty noticeable, firing a "full" caliber round out of a carbine-sized rifle :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

No I didn't fire it :( just was able to try the mechanism - ready te bolt, or how you call it and pul the trigger but there was no bullet to fire. :p still was the first time I even held an original ww1 weapon :)

I am assuming it was in need of piling though, otherwise operating a bolt action rifle takes much lee muscle than imagined

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Nifty! Where did you take it from?

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on March 28, 2017, 09:52:00 AM

Was on vintag.es, something about everyday life in Italy in late 1800s.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

That's just by the Tiber, looking towards Castel Sant'Angelo and the Vatican.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

That's just by the Tiber, looking towards Castel Sant'Angelo and the Vatican.
Yes, roughly at Ponte Umberto I.

Josquius

Amazing how much of a mess it is even in this prestige location.
And not a mess in the way its a mess now. A pre civilization rather than a post civilization mess
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2017, 12:44:47 PM
No I didn't fire it :( just was able to try the mechanism - ready te bolt, or how you call it and pul the trigger but there was no bullet to fire. :p still was the first time I even held an original ww1 weapon :)

I am assuming it was in need of piling though, otherwise operating a bolt action rifle takes much lee muscle than imagined

Ah-- thought you said you fired it. 

I have some interesting historical stuff for you to fire if you ever come to the US :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2017, 02:44:49 PM
:huh:

Happy to see that I was not the only one scratching his head.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Sitting in on a meeting today, and "Bring Your Child To Work" Day came up. 

I asked when "Take A Child From Work" Day was going to be.

Fucking people have no sense of humor whatsoever.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2017, 07:58:15 PM

Sitting in on a meeting today, and "Bring Your Child To Work" Day came up. 

I asked when "Take A Child From Work" Day was going to be.

Fucking people have no sense of humor whatsoever.

:lmfao:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

And the 2018 fundraising shit is starting. Josh Mandel(R-Retard) is hitting me up hard for a donation in his upcoming fight against Sherrod Brown(D-Dipshit)

Anger rising.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2017, 08:03:30 PM
:lmfao:

Not even going to tell you about the knife fight I had over goddamned Oxford fucking commas.  Fucking mouthbreathers.