And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2017, 04:51:19 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 14, 2017, 03:03:51 PM
As part of GM selling their European operations to PSA, I read this: "In the five years from 2012 to 2016, GM spent $16.8 billion on stock buybacks.  Just to give you some perspective, that cash represents 30 percent of the value of the company, assuming GM's current market cap of $56 billion." And that they want spend the money they get from selling Opel on further stock buybacks. This comes at a time when the entire automotive industry is looking for money to finance the transistion from combustion engines to electric, to progress on autonomous cars and on connectivity and new disruptive business models like Uber. I guess it may somehow help their shareholder value a bit, but if there is ever a market situation again where those big trucks on the US market don't sell well anymore (higher fuel prices or stricter emission guidelines or a new recession), GM will be fucked.

Selling Vauxhall / opel sounded insane when I first heard it.  When you put it that way, it sounds even worse.

Why?

Saying the US truck market

Maladict

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2017, 05:56:54 PM

For 70-100GW that's not that expensive.  And why wasn't this posted in the Green Energy thread?

Not to mention we get to claim the entire North Sea, China style  :ph34r:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Maladict on March 14, 2017, 06:15:36 PM

For 70-100GW that's not that expensive.  And why wasn't this posted in the Green Energy thread?

Until the armies of the Sultan flow over your borders. Inshallah.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maladict

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 14, 2017, 06:16:58 PM

What are these borders you speak of?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2017, 06:00:08 PM
There has never been an American named Frodo. I'm surprised.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/14/the_hidden_connection_between_popular_books_and_baby_names.html

Thankfully, mom put her foot down on that one.  Dog wasn't so lucky, her name was Bilbo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Maladict on March 14, 2017, 06:55:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 14, 2017, 06:16:58 PM

What are these borders you speak of?

SAD!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2017, 06:00:08 PM
There has never been an American named Frodo. I'm surprised.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/14/the_hidden_connection_between_popular_books_and_baby_names.html

:lol:  Even for Slate, that's a dumb article.  The author essentially ignores the data in the graphs to make vague hypotheses about names.  The argument that baby names are influenced by current culture is too trite to even merit discussion, isn't it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I should have named a kid Raistlin.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 14, 2017, 07:25:35 PM
I should have named a kid Raistlin.

There's always the next one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 14, 2017, 07:25:35 PM
I should have named a kid Raistlin Sauron.

That would be a happy kid!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I'm gonna eat those electric pansies with my new Alfa.

I'm even gonna take the safeties off my torps.

CountDeMoney

Ed just made a Kursk in his pants.

Ed Anger

:lol:

Also acceptable: "you killed us you fool!"