News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2017, 01:39:55 PM
I'm so jealous of people who can just turn sleep on and off.

Read more of my posts, that should help you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2017, 01:41:26 PM

But you erase them too fast...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2017, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2017, 01:41:26 PM

But you erase them too fast...

Who are you responding to?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Don't be that jealous.  Not all of us got to pick our superpower: some of us got "narcolepsy" picked for us.   :lol:  :huh:  :zzz

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 14, 2017, 03:49:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 13, 2017, 05:43:02 PM
Apparently in French the word eventually merely means possibly rather than ultimately.
And not many native speakers are aware of this.
That's a war starting false friend that is.

That's a well known false friend actually, one which was mentioned in English classes. Though I believe some French-speaking Canadians use it with the same meaning as the Anglos.

Yeah, I use it in both ways. I didn't know that wasn't universal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

It's the Daily Hail, but what the heck, it¡s funny.  :P

QuoteTwo friends living in Newcastle and Birmingham met up in Malaga because it was cheaper to fly to SPAIN than getting the train to see each other
Lucy Walker, from Newcastle, and Zara Quli, from Birmingham, planned to meet
Rail fare between cities was £105, but Lucy found Ryanair return flight for £20
Zara got flight from Birmingham for £55.59 and accommodation cost just £10
The two trips totalling 6,000 miles were cheaper than one 150-mile train fare

MadBurgerMaker

That's super cheap for a 2700 mile round trip. That's similar to flying from here to Chicago and back.  How bad does flying on this Ryanair airline suck?

The Larch

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 15, 2017, 05:02:15 PM
That's super cheap for a 2700 mile round trip. That's similar to flying from here to Chicago and back.  How bad does flying on this Ryanair airline suck?

It used to be akin to cattle transport with wings, but it has improved lately. That kind of offers (round trips from the UK to random Mediterranean destinations), which are indeed dirt cheap, are not unusual with low cost airlines, that's why our coastal cities down there get filled with chavs every year.  :P

CountDeMoney

Meh, see adverts like that all the time with airlines like Southwest, which always makes you ask two questions: 

1) Wow, it's really $39 to Jacksonville this weekend?, and
2) Who the fuck wants to go to Jacksonville?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 05:17:34 PM
Meh, see adverts like that all the time with airlines like Southwest, which always makes you ask two questions: 

1) Wow, it's really $39 to Jacksonville this weekend?, and
2) Who the fuck wants to go to Jacksonville?

Only Southwest things I've seen anymore are the $59 one way deals.   This is poundsymbol20 for a round trip. 

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 15, 2017, 06:15:18 PM
Only Southwest things I've seen anymore are the $59 one way deals.   This is poundsymbol20 for a round trip.

There's no way that's a regular ticket, or even a regularly scheduled ticket.  Twenty quid won't pay for the marginal gas to carry the person, let alone the administrative marginal costs to book and issue tickets, etc.  Gotta be a promotional loss leader.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I ordered chicken in garlic sauce from a Chinese delivery place. I ended up with an entire bowl of Broccoli. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017