Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 11, 2017, 10:40:25 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Atlantic_Anomaly

I'm curious.

Satellites shut off.

Astronauts power down their laptops.

This dead zone kills electronics.

Does that mean Santiago, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires are essentially immune from ICBM-based nuclear attacks?

I tested. Seems you're right. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2017, 10:40:33 AM
While watching Obama's last speech as President I reflected on how much I had taken an intelligent articulate President for granted.

Were you on some sort of monastic retreat the prior 8 years?  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 11, 2017, 10:40:25 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Atlantic_Anomaly

I'm curious.

Satellites shut off.

Astronauts power down their laptops.

This dead zone kills electronics.

Does that mean Santiago, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires are essentially immune from ICBM-based nuclear attacks?

Argentinians more liable to develop super powers? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

I bought and installed a Nest thermostat last night.  Installation could not have been easier.  This completes the three-pronged attack on my energy costs (first two prongs being upgrading every bulb to LED and switching providers to lower my rate).

I do have a few more windows I want to replace, so I guess that could be considered a fourth prong :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2017, 10:01:27 AM
I bought and installed a Nest thermostat last night.  Installation could not have been easier.  This completes the three-pronged attack on my energy costs (first two prongs being upgrading every bulb to LED and switching providers to lower my rate).

I do have a few more windows I want to replace, so I guess that could be considered a fourth prong :hmm:

Please let me know what the results are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I'm hoping my Nest somehow spits out a spreadsheet giving detailed breakdowns of savings or something :P

What I can tell you now is that even if my energy consumption remained the same, I'm saving enough money from the lower rate ($.059/kWh) to pay for all the upgrades in a few short months :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2017, 10:13:14 AM
I'm hoping my Nest somehow spits out a spreadsheet giving detailed breakdowns of savings or something :P

What I can tell you now is that even if my energy consumption remained the same, I'm saving enough money from the lower rate ($.059/kWh) to pay for all the upgrades in a few short months :)

Being able to switch companies to lower your rate. I miss that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Not too off the mark on that. Those Nest thermostats are the bee's knees.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 10:16:42 AM

LOL, consumer thinks he's people.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 10:16:42 AM

It's something that requires regular attention, though.  Apparently once our 18 month contract was up with our previous provider, they jacked our rates up to nearly twice what they are now.  Wife pays the bills so I never knew until she was complaining about how high our December bill was and I took a look.  We had been saving money with that provider over what we had previously been paying Duke, but any savings were wiped out by the higher rate they sneaked in on us later.

But I should have been paying more attention to it in the first place, so shame on me. 

Tamas

Nowadays regular attention is 5 minutes spent on a price comparison site.

celedhring

Oh Americans that can save on their bills by cutting down consumption...

Half my bill is costs accrued before I turn on a single lightbulb. :bleeding:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2017, 11:53:39 AM
What do you mean?

I think I know what he means. A large portion of my utility bills are fees that have nothing to do with my consumption.

Grey Fox

Isn't that the case everywhere?

45ยข/day, iirc, here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.