News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I got a Facebook account activation code text. Guess somebody out there is fucked.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2017, 11:20:30 PM
I got a Facebook account activation code text. Guess somebody out there is fucked.

Or saved.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

It's actually properly snowing today.  It's like I died and went to Norway :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

About 1/3 of the 16-18 year olds in Austria are smokers. There's now talk of raising the minimum age for tobacco purchase to 18.

I doubt that raising the minimum age will do much, since inability to buy is not keeping plenty of U16s from smoking now.

The complete smoking ban in establishments that serve or prepare food or drink, coming in 2018, might help a bit more. Other than that there's little anti-smoking campaigning in Austria, neither from the government nor from NGOs or health institutions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 10, 2017, 07:29:10 AM
About 1/3 of the 16-18 year olds in Austria are smokers. There's now talk of raising the minimum age for tobacco purchase to 18.

Wow. How stupid can you be?

'Here is a well known dangerous, expensive, and highly addictive hobby that is not even that much fun. Everybody around you is trying to stop doing it. Sound good?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I doubt that raising the minimum age will do much, since inability to buy is not keeping plenty of U16s from smoking now.

Can help though as it makes it less likely that those under 16 will have friends or acquaintances who might buy them packs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quotemy sister is about to have a baby and my brother showed up to the hospital in a suit because "first impressions matter"

Unusual bit of wisdom from twitter -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 09:44:22 AM
Quotemy sister is about to have a baby and my brother showed up to the hospital in a suit because "first impressions matter"

Unusual bit of wisdom from twitter -_-

Never want to lose a job because you shit the baby interview.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 07:53:25 AM

Wow. How stupid can you be?

'Here is a well known dangerous, expensive, and highly addictive hobby that is not even that much fun. Everybody around you is trying to stop doing it. Sound good?'

"Don't do this.  It's bad." 

Yeah, that always works with kids.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2017, 10:15:11 AM

"Just Say No" worked for an entire generation.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2017, 10:15:11 AM

I never smoked not because people told me smoking was bad but because I saw the Boomers and GIs out there killing themselves trying to stop this habit that made their teeth turn yellow and get cancer and shit. I mean shit I know you are a kid but open your damn eyes.

Plenty of my fellow Xers did the same damn thing though. I just don't get it.

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Gastro-Intestinals.  Fat people.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Giant Insects.  The revenge of Brest-Litovsk.