News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2016, 11:10:39 PM
I noticed a trend.  The idiots who keep liking Breitbart articles on facebook almost always have a confederate flag somewhere in their picture album. 

Hey I don't have a rebel flag anywhere!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 12, 2016, 01:35:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2016, 01:31:00 PMSpeaking of porch lights, a lot of naive neighbors are using red light bulbs to be "festive".  I guess they have no idea what a red light means.

I don't know if it's naive given how red light is not actually used to denote whore houses these days (if it ever was).

IT'S COMMON KNOWLEDGE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2016, 10:38:32 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 11, 2016, 10:56:07 PM

Yes, that is from my wedding reception.

I didn't realize you were that old

I'm impressed Ed can throw aside the canes like that and get down.

Watch out on your wedding night, child bride!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2016, 11:00:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 12, 2016, 11:10:39 PM
I noticed a trend.  The idiots who keep liking Breitbart articles on facebook almost always have a confederate flag somewhere in their picture album. 

Hey I don't have a rebel flag anywhere!

Now I know what I'm getting you for Christmas! :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/12/rent-a-jew-service-now-available-germany/
QuoteRent-a-Jew service now available in Germany

A Jewish community outreach group in Germany has hit on an eye-catching name for its program of educational seminars - Rent-a-Jew.

Group spokesperson Mascha Schmerling admitted that the title was deliberately provocative - but she hopes it will serve to promote conversation.

"We want to give people the chance to talk to the Jewish community," Schmerling told German broadcaster Deutsche Welle. "We want them to see that we're completely normal people. We don't want to be defined purely by history and we don't want to always be seen through this Holocaust lens."

Set up by the European Janucz Korczak Academy, a Munich-based educational organisation, Rent-a-Jew seeks to counter anti-Semitism by sending ordinary Jewish people into German schools, colleges and universities to speak about their lives and experiences, and to dispel myths about Jews.

[...]

:huh: Fair enough, that is a catchy name that might spur conversations. The last time we organized such a program it was done by Albert Speer...

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2016, 12:04:05 PM
Now I know what I'm getting you for Christmas! :hug:

Just don't get me a Bonnie Blue Flag.  If it fades it might attract Somalians.

Ideologue

Thanks to the snow, the ice underneath the snow, keeping my head down to try to match my footfalls to preexisting footprints, and the top third of my field of vision obscured by my cap, I just ran directly into an electric company call box--or, anyway, whatever the fuck those metal boxes are that stick out from lightposts.  Minimal upward grade, so I was probably traveling a little less than nine miles an hour.  Welt the size of a salami stacked five or six slices high on my forehead now.  Turned me horizontal and I must've clipped my shoulder on it too.

Bet it looked really hilarious, though.  I need a new pair of icy weather shoes.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

IDE how does one get a 5.01?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on December 13, 2016, 04:37:28 PM
IDE how does one get a 5.01?

Bad movie with elements of value that make it sort of worth watching, if you like that kind of shit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 13, 2016, 04:08:55 PM
Thanks to the snow, the ice underneath the snow, keeping my head down to try to match my footfalls to preexisting footprints, and the top third of my field of vision obscured by my cap, I just ran directly into an electric company call box--or, anyway, whatever the fuck those metal boxes are that stick out from lightposts.  Minimal upward grade, so I was probably traveling a little less than nine miles an hour.  Welt the size of a salami stacked five or six slices high on my forehead now.  Turned me horizontal and I must've clipped my shoulder on it too.

Bet it looked really hilarious, though.  I need a new pair of icy weather shoes.

Evidence your ancestors were right to settle in South Carolina?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

It was a near-utopia before global warming made the summers really bad.  (On the plus side, the winters in SC are mild as fuck.  It's 53 degrees there right now.)
Kinemalogue