And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2016, 11:55:52 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2016, 11:27:13 AM
In practice though, they're very different.  People do not smoke cigars like they do cigarettes.  Regulating cigars and cigarettes the same way is just stupid.

My grandmother's brother died in his 50s from lung cancer. The only thing he smoked was cigars. I reckon the warnings are fair.

My Grandmother's brother was shot to death in Kansas City.

I just felt like sharing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Let's have a map! :)

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

From a Radio Station?!

A famous Radio Station tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 03, 2016, 09:51:44 AM
From a Radio Station?!

Presumably, so listeners can follow the war news on their map at home.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I guess this was November 1941 or so? Kind of a low-point for the Allies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I restructured my cable package. I gave up TV channels I don't watch for bandwidth.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2016, 09:40:47 AM

Nice map, but weird how they have the Danish and Norwegian flag backwards, and the Swedish flag in the wrong colours - blue and red?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 03, 2016, 12:42:42 PM
Nice map, but weird how they have the Danish and Norwegian flag backwards

Wind was blowing the other way there when they made the map :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on November 03, 2016, 12:42:42 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2016, 09:40:47 AM

Nice map, but weird how they have the Danish and Norwegian flag backwards, and the Swedish flag in the wrong colours - blue and red?

They show a few flags in reverse, it looks like, with the crown being Italy - flying from right to left in Rome, and left to right in Tripoli.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2016, 09:58:45 AM

Latest date I could see for an event on the map was late September 1941.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2016, 12:54:11 PM

Yeah, you are right. It shows Odessa still under Soviet control and we know the city fell in mid October. Must be September.

Point still stands though :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Our power is out and work crew said it would be a few hours. Glad it was time to go to bed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I see one for Oct 31 1941 under Kharkov.  It says German advance.  The city fell a week prior.  I suppose that we can assume that the exact location of Soviet-German lines were not known to the civilian population at this time.  So no later than Dec 7 (that would have been noticed), and no earlier than Oct 31.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2016, 10:18:00 PM

I see one for Oct 31 1941 under Kharkov.  It says German advance.  The city fell a week prior.  I suppose that we can assume that the exact location of Soviet-German lines were not known to the civilian population at this time.  So no later than Dec 7 (that would have been noticed), and no earlier than Oct 31.

Well spotted - I missed it.

Valmy

Aha! So I was right all along! IN YOUR FACE MALTHUS!!!11