Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 01:52:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 26, 2016, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 11:57:12 AM
I'm a little nostalgic for the times when only far-rightwingers were in favor of racial and cultural purity: http://reason.com/blog/2016/10/26/video-uc-berkeley-protesters-built-a-hum

QuoteStudent protesters at the University of California-Berkeley gathered in front of a bridge on campus and forcibly prevented white people from crossing it. Students of color were allowed to pass.

Yeah.

Tell us how you feel about these protesters?

Then, replace with "white people" with Jews, and answer again.

Just curious.

What is with you people and the Jews?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

The post office requires an appointment for passport renewal stuff, and the only way to do that is to call them. So I called them. Two hours ago. It's still ringing.

I just put the phone down on the desk and fired up Rimworld.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 26, 2016, 02:18:45 PM
The post office requires an appointment for passport renewal stuff, and the only way to do that is to call them. So I called them. Two hours ago. It's still ringing.

I just put the phone down on the desk and fired up Rimworld.

:lol:  I've had to call the Post Office as well;  put me on hold until the office closed at 4:30.  Click.

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 01:52:59 PMTell us how you feel about these protesters?

I don't know enough about these protesters to have an opinion, and I don't know the provenance of the reporting enough to tell how accurately it describes the events and context.

Nonetheless, like you, I prefer my left wing politics without a focus on racial and cultural purity in the mix; which is why I agreed with your post.

QuoteThen, replace with "white people" with Jews, and answer again.

Just curious.

I prefer my left wing politics without anti-semitism in the mix.

That wasn't too difficult, to be honest.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on October 26, 2016, 02:35:35 PM
Nonetheless, like you, I prefer my left wing politics without a focus on racial and cultural purity in the mix; which is why I agreed with your post.

I may have unfairly tarred you these last few weeks then. I apologize.  :(

Admiral Yi

Which type(s) of purity do you prefer your left wing politics to have?

Jacob

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 26, 2016, 02:40:58 PM

I may have unfairly tarred you these last few weeks then. I apologize.  :(

I'm sure there's plenty we can disagree about :hug:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2016, 02:49:08 PM

Which type(s) of purity do you prefer your left wing politics to have?

I'm honestly not that big on purity - I'm much more interested in pragmatic solutions.

The Brain

I admire your pragmatism.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

My pragmatism is the purest.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Josquius

What is wrong with some people.
On the metro the chairs are arranged so on one side you have a block of 4 facing each other, 2 backwards and 2 forwards, and on the other side a block of 2 facing each other.
I get onto a pretty much empty metro and sit on one of the blocks of 2. Have it to myself.... and some woman comes and sits directly opposite me.
There are plenty of empty blocks. But she commits this grievous etiquette faux pas. Some people....
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2016, 03:50:07 AM
On the metro the chairs are arranged so on one side you have a block of 4 facing each other, 2 backwards and 2 forwards, and on the other side a block of 2 facing each other.
I get onto a pretty much empty metro and sit on one of the blocks of 2. Have it to myself.... and some woman comes and sits directly opposite me.
There are plenty of intake blocks. But she commits this grievous etiquette faux pas. Some people....

An even bigger faux pas would've been to tell her how much of a faux pas she was committing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

A Danish anti-EU party is having a bit of trouble after receiving EU-funds for EU related projects and then spending the money on various non EU stuff such as dinners and travels. Their reaction was quite interesting: We'll just pay it back, just an honest mistake. Oh you won't take it back without an investigation? Why not, no harm done if we pay it back. WHY WON'T YOU TAKE IT BACK? Typical Brussels wasting money.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on October 27, 2016, 04:47:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 27, 2016, 03:50:07 AM
There are plenty of intake blocks. But she commits this grievous etiquette faux pas. Some people....

An even bigger faux pas would've been to tell her how much of a faux pas she was committing.

tyr should have tried striking up a conversation. maybe she thought he was cute.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014