News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

After getting the scoop on Barack's and Biden's summer playlist; CNN has yet another controversial story:

President Obama Releases Workout Mix

While I'm all for freedom of the press and everything; suggesting that the President of the United States listens to Sting's solo work borders on treason.  Shame on you CNN  :mad:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Dang.  That is pretty bad.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on October 21, 2016, 11:03:05 AM
After getting the scoop on Barack's and Biden's summer playlist; CNN has yet another controversial story:

President Obama Releases Workout Mix

While I'm all for freedom of the press and everything; suggesting that the President of the United States listens to Sting's solo work borders on treason.  Shame on you CNN  :mad:

Farming was what George Washington did for fun. Huh. Weird I thought that was his job or something.

Also founding the University of Virginia was TJ's leisure activity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2016, 11:27:18 AM
FarmingOverseeing an estate worked by enslaved labor was what George Washington did for fun.

Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2016, 07:31:30 AM
I've figured out a new way to embarrass people

1: wait in toilets for someone to come out of a cubicle.
2: go into the cubicle right after them.
3: come out at speed wafting the air and saying "nope nope nope nope"

Do you mean embarrass yourself?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 21, 2016, 11:41:04 AM
FarmingOverseeing an estate worked by enslaved labor was what George Washington did for fun.

He did free them after he died at least, more than I can say for many of his contemporaries. And he also had hired hands and tenants as well I think. But I have my doubts if it was not an economic activity Washington would have run an estate just for the shits and giggles.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2016, 07:31:30 AM
I've figured out a new way to embarrass people

1: wait in toilets for someone to come out of a cubicle.
2: go into the cubicle right after them.
3: come out at speed wafting the air and saying "nope nope nope nope"

I don't think waiting around in bathrooms is the best course of action. At best you'll have some fun gay sex out of it, at worst some one will punch you in the face for being weird
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2016, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 21, 2016, 11:41:04 AM

He did free them after he died at least, more than I can say for many of his contemporaries. And he also had hired hands and tenants as well I think. But I have my doubts if it was not an economic activity Washington would have run an estate just for the shits and giggles.

Freeing them after he's dead kind of seems worse to me for some reason. "I know what I'm doing is wrong, but fuck it it's easier to keep the slaves around to farm for me"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2016, 11:47:26 AM
Freeing them after he's dead kind of seems worse to me for some reason. "I know what I'm doing is wrong, but fuck it it's easier to keep the slaves around to farm for me"

It seems worse than not freeing them at all? While I don't have any opinion polls taken from the Mount Vernon Estate at the time I have a feeling the slaves might have disagreed.

Note that this move inspired the rest of his family to follow suite (or when they did not free them become very neurotic about it), plunging the entire Custis/Lee/Washington Clan into aristocratic poverty for awhile. It was not a small thing.

HVC

Worse at a personal level. If you don't feel ska dry is wrong then you have no issue with keeping slaves. If you feel keeping slaves is wrong and yet keep owning slaves it makes you seem like a worse person. 

Valmy

I was really confused by the chart for a second Tyr since the earth has been a total iceball at least once, but then I noticed they only start it from 22,000 years ago.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2016, 11:50:52 AM
Worse at a personal level. If you don't feel ska dry is wrong then you have no issue with keeping slaves. If you feel keeping slaves is wrong and yet keep owning slaves it makes you seem like a worse person. 

Nah I think slave owners who think slavery is good are worse than slave owners who think slavery is bad, regardless of how hypocritical they might be.

derspiess

How binary was it, though?  I mean these days we are all pretty certain slavery was 100% wrong, but with something being an existing (profitable) institution that you were born into, but still sort of doesn't seem right, in the context of 200-250 years ago I can understand people having mixed feelings.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall