News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

From the Economist "Johnson" column:

The proper order of adjectives in English is: opinion-size-shape-color-origin-material-purpose-noun.

For example a "lovely little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife."

Author says if you change the order it sounds bizarre.  I tried a few combinations and it has held true so far.  The article is about implicit grammar rules we don't realize we know.

Syt

Huh, this webpage has been online since 1998: http://zombo.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2016, 02:33:20 PM

The proper order of adjectives in English is: opinion-size-shape-color-origin-material-purpose-noun.

For example a "lovely little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife."

Author says if you change the order it sounds bizarre.  I tried a few combinations and it has held true so far.  The article is about implicit grammar rules we don't realize we know.

That the most interesting thing I've learnt or read on the internet this week, thanks.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I recall reading a longer piece on that recently, went into quite some detail into it.
I wonder if its an English thing or if it applies elsewhere too.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

A rectangular knife sounds bizarre no matter how you arrange the adjectives.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2016, 02:33:20 PM

I'll be damned. It's true.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on September 30, 2016, 02:35:02 PM
Huh, this webpage has been online since 1998: http://zombo.com/

Heh, it's a classic (of pointlessness).  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Perhaps the first website that I ever visited was one with the sole purpose of claiming that "fish is meat".  First they listed the dictionary definition of meat, and they took it down word by word, ignored part of the definition, and argued that fish should be included in the meat definition. 

It no longer exists :weep:

Ed Anger

In further Ed Anger news, I decided on the Halloween costume to take the kids trick or treating in:

90's grunge. In other words, dressing like I did back in the day. I even have the long hair for it. Haven't had a haircut in over a year.

I assume it'll take the Bellbrook cops 15 minutes to harass me. WHAT YOU DOING WITH THOSE KIDS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Razgovory

I wonder if Marty casts spells on us.  He does think he is a wizard and gets pretty irate with us from time to time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017