News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I have been wondering what age is the best to give your kids phones. 8 seems a bit soon but I am glad you get to test it out for me :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on September 09, 2016, 07:33:45 PM
our emails auto delete after a year

Any particular reason for this?

Zanza

He works for Hillary Clinton. :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2016, 11:21:40 PM
I have been wondering what age is the best to give your kids phones. 8 seems a bit soon but I am glad you get to test it out for me :P

I thought it was too soon too, but they was using youtube to look up videos for math help. Educational!

Poop emojis....well they are my children after all.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on September 10, 2016, 06:31:19 AM

Legal wants it. It is apparently a thing to subpoena all emails in certain legal cases, and inevitably someone said something stupid in one. So the answer is to just dump all of them. It was initially after 6 months, but that got changed to 12.

Interestingly, some people in legal are now printing out all of their emails to make sure they have records of what third parties may have agreed to in emails. There are massive stacks of paper everywhere. It is chaos.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 09:37:41 AM

Interestingly, some people in legal are now printing out all of their emails to make sure they have records of what third parties may have agreed to in emails. There are massive stacks of paper everywhere. It is chaos.

Yes, exactly. And what if you have projects/cases that run for over a year?
I can't imagine having to work like that, I never delete emails and it has saved me (and the company) a lot of trouble.

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on September 10, 2016, 06:31:19 AM

Legal wants it. It is apparently a thing to subpoena all emails in certain legal cases, and inevitably someone said something stupid in one. So the answer is to just dump all of them. It was initially after 6 months, but that got changed to 12.

Don't you need to keep records for a certain amount of time?  I know my old company had to keep everything available for the last 7 years.  You may delete your own e-mails, but they'll still be on the servers.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maladict on September 10, 2016, 10:01:14 AM
I can't imagine having to work like that, I never delete emails and it has saved me (and the company) a lot of trouble.

There's guy at work--accomplished STEM professional, higher degrees, position of agency authority--was bitching the other day about how "slow" his computer was, because he needed to search for something in his Outlook. 
WTF!  This stupid laptop is too slow! This network has so many problems!  Stupid government!

I look at the bottom of the screen.  Number of emails in Inbox:  over 57,000.  In the Inbox.

Servers archives? Records management?  Backup?  A control freak that refuses to learn basic Office proficiency craves not these things.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2016, 10:35:28 AM

There's guy at work--accomplished STEM professional, higher degrees, position of agency authority--was bitching the other day about how "slow" his computer was, because he needed to search for something in his Outlook. 
WTF!  This stupid laptop is too slow! This network has so many problems!  Stupid government!

I look at the bottom of the screen.  Number of emails in Inbox:  over 57,000.  In the Inbox.

Servers archives? Records management?  Backup?  A control freak that refuses to learn basic Office proficiency craves not these things.
Still that shouldn't affect search speed, unless the inbox isn't indexed.  And if it isn't indexed, the guy has a point.

alfred russel

i didnt make the policy. it sucks for me too, but you can save emails you want to keep (as i saved the email in question).

dguller, yes there is a records retention policy. it does not apply to emails.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Damn we got a 25 meg limit. Normally I save important ones to the hard drive. However I am constantly deleting large chunks of the inbox and sent folders.

Except when the IG comes two years later. They dig shit out of somewhere.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2016, 10:42:15 AM
Still that shouldn't affect search speed, unless the inbox isn't indexed.  And if it isn't indexed, the guy has a point.

Searching for "Dave" in 57,000 emails in remote Outlook servers in a network supporting tens of thousands federal employees on any given business day? Yeah, it's going to take more than 16 seconds.

But hey, you're the IT guy.

Maladict

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2016, 10:42:15 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2016, 10:35:28 AM

Yeah, who needs folders when you have a decent search index. My inbox currently holds 14 Gb of emails, no subfolders.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 10, 2016, 10:46:49 AM
Damn we got a 25 meg limit. Normally I save important ones to the hard drive. However I am constantly deleting large chunks of the inbox and sent folders.

Except when the IG comes two years later. They dig shit out of somewhere.

I would print out emails for certain access control requests, for the sake of regulatory audit and change management silliness.

And there's the added bonus of addressing the "no I didn't yes you did no I didn't" discussions by pulling the binder and showing them personally, instead of dicking around with an episode of CSI: Enterprise Server Retention Logs.

The Brain

All kinds of email optimization and storage should be done under the hood. User shouldn't have to do shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.