News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I've been to Canada. I was stung by a swarm of bees.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I've been to Canada. Nothing untoward ever happened to me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2016, 02:02:47 PM

Well, you did have to put up with me for one lunch which I'm sure must have been trying.

Malthus

The bees must have been busy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2016, 02:46:02 PM

Well, you did have to put up with me for one lunch which I'm sure must have been trying.

Only because you wouldn't let me go to the leather bar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2016, 05:30:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 28, 2016, 10:21:12 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2016, 07:51:22 PM
Yeah from what I've read the opposition to a deal with Canada is increasing, especially in Germany (in an election year). So I wouldn't hold your breath.

What is the reason for the opposition?
Basically the same sort of reasons as TTIP.

But the big issue is practical. My understanding is that trade agreements in general are negotiated by the Commission, the Council decide whether (and when) to agree to it and it is then put to the European Parliament for ratification. After Brexit - and I'm not sure how or why - France and Germany led successful calls for CETA to be ratified by all member state and, where constitutionally necessary, regional parliaments. So I believe there's 38 parliaments all told that have to vote.

The Commission is concerned, understandably, as trade is normally the sort of ne plus ultra of European policy. The Trade Commissioner (normally one of the most important jobs) has basically said that EU trade policy is dead if this fails. They're also worried that if this takes too long the Canadians just won't sign by the current target/deadline of late 2017. So there's proposals to provisionally apply CETA as everyone is reasonably confident it will eventually pass under QMV. They also just don't really know how to go about this practically and how to keep momentum going - as I say, my understanding, legally is that trade policy is very heavily weighted to being a European competency.

The provisional application of the deal opens new problems though. Many member states want the investment section (including the controversial arbitration bits) put on hold until its fully ratified, there are questions as to whether the Commission can provisionally apply a policy that isn't yet formally EU law if a national parliament rejects it and other member states are looking to cherry pick which bits gets brought in now, France and Austria want the transport section put on hold until it's been fully ratified.

The longer that lasts I think the more risk there is opposition grows: as I say TTIP opponents now usually link the two in the same breath, there's individual sectors like transport apparently that may further mobilise and there's always a risk of regional opposition causing issues, I believe Bavaria's had a fair amount of anti-CETA stuff going on. I read a piece which quoted a senior German civil servant saying basically nothing can be guaranteed on it anymore.

Thanks for the explanation  :)

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2016, 12:57:30 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on August 29, 2016, 12:28:51 PM
I go to America 3-5 times per year. Never in my life set a foot in Canada. Don't see why.

Thank you :)
:face:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 29, 2016, 12:28:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2016, 07:53:24 PM
Canada sucks.

I go to America 3-5 times per year. Never in my life set a foot in Canada. Don't see why.

Hamilcar's Cinnabon addiction is approaching dangerous levels.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Come on Tim, nothing on the SETI signal?

Reprehensible.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on August 29, 2016, 09:41:03 PM
Come on Tim, nothing on the SETI signal?

Reprehensible.

It's just me farting into a HAM radio.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

If I ever move back to Hungary it will be because of the Giant House Spiders in the UK. WTF people!!!! Europe is not supposed to have such monstrosities.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on August 30, 2016, 07:26:42 AM
If I ever move back to Hungary it will be because of the Giant House Spiders in the UK. WTF people!!!! Europe is not supposed to have such monstrosities.

:blink:

Ours are That big, really?

Tamas, sure you haven't been on a bender and ended up Down Under?  :outback:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

If you're surrounded by belligerent sun burnt drunks you may be in.....oh....
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I had a gigantic one try to slip under my front door in my old flat. Took it out with a wine bottle.