Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Bankman Fried gets 25 years.

HVC

That's a lot for white collar.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Ken Lay got 24.  Bernie Madoff got 150.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

QuoteTanzverbot is the German term for "dancing ban". In Germany and Switzerland, dancing on some holidays is banned by most state or canton governments. These occasions are certain Christian and secular holidays aimed at mourning or contemplation, such as Good Friday, All Saints' Day (from its association with All Souls' Day practices) or memorial days like Volkstrauertag. The German and Swiss dancing bans prohibit public parties, but not dancing in one's private residence.
A bizarre illiberal law here.  :pope:

Josquius

Can't say I ever ran into that in Switzerland
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I smell a German footloose remake

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on March 29, 2024, 04:23:39 PM
QuoteTanzverbot is the German term for "dancing ban". In Germany and Switzerland, dancing on some holidays is banned by most state or canton governments. These occasions are certain Christian and secular holidays aimed at mourning or contemplation, such as Good Friday, All Saints' Day (from its association with All Souls' Day practices) or memorial days like Volkstrauertag. The German and Swiss dancing bans prohibit public parties, but not dancing in one's private residence.

Ah, Karfreitag.  :D

One of the reasons train tickets were the priciest if the year for the Easter long weekend. :P

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2024, 12:22:53 PM

:unsure:
Is it disturbing that is a topic of conversation, or that someone mixes Quora with Twitter?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I saww Irish twitter talking about the, I think, 700 movies that are not allowed to be screened in Germany on Good Friday.

Although the bit of left Irish twitter I saw was sort of arguing it's less the shock of newly liberal, post-Christian Ireland but more Anglophone world discovering a social democratic society is more...social:
QuoteKevin Hargaden
@kevinhargaden
Every year or so, Irish people discover that continental Europe preserves all kinds of odd traditions and have few of our Anglophone libertarian hang ups and instead of being curious, they just kneejerk back to the parochial script about "the church" and oppression
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I'm still confused that Good Friday is not a public holiday in Austria (people here think it's a "protestant" holiday). My company gives us the day of regardless  though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on March 29, 2024, 05:32:15 PMIs it disturbing that is a topic of conversation, or that someone mixes Quora with Twitter?

The former. I'm unsure why my ADHD should limit my mental capacity to understand what anal sex is all about. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2024, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 29, 2024, 05:32:15 PMIs it disturbing that is a topic of conversation, or that someone mixes Quora with Twitter?

The former. I'm unsure why my ADHD should limit my mental capacity to understand what anal sex is all about. :P

To easily distracted to give consent? :unsure: :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2024, 10:52:12 PM

I'm still confused that Good Friday is not a public holiday in Austria (people here think it's a "protestant" holiday). My company gives us the day of regardless  though.

It is indeed. :P
Holiday in Hessen as well, and of then « silent » kind. :D