And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2020, 03:11:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2020, 02:54:00 PM
What exactly is cancel culture? I feel like I know roughly what it is but the term is pretty new to me.

The relatively benign version of it is canceling public support for a public figure in response to them saying or doing something that transgresses against what the canceler thinks are the social rules.  Think Kevin Spacey here.  I don't have a problem with people boycotting individuals they don't want to support.

The toxic version of cancel culture is to do everything in one's power to publicly shame the target:  release private information, publish private photos, call their bosses, etc.  These are online lynchings.  I have a huge problem with people who engage in this behavior, and those who condone it.

Thanks. Just like you I have zero problems with people boycotting anyone they feel like. The toxic version you describe seems indeed to be very destructive, and unworthy of civilized society.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Saladin on June 22, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
So...
What happened to CountDeMoney?

Oh he's in a much better place now: anywhere but here.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Saladin on June 22, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
So...
What happened to CountDeMoney?

He passed into the West.

HVC

He got infuriated that PDH was sad and left.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Yeah, I mean I was a jerk...my dad dying and all.  I should have sucked it up.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on June 22, 2020, 08:41:02 PM
Yeah, I mean I was a jerk...my dad dying and all.  I should have sucked it up.
:huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

His final post was in response to my saying my first 1.5 years in Santa Cruz sucked, despite getting promoted and escaping Wyoming.  My dad had just died or was on the edge of it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Yeah, I guess I missed that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on June 22, 2020, 09:45:34 PM
His final post was in response to my saying my first 1.5 years in Santa Cruz sucked, despite getting promoted and escaping Wyoming.  My dad had just died or was on the edge of it.

His final post really had nothing to do with you, and everything to do with him. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2020, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 22, 2020, 09:45:34 PM

His final post really had nothing to do with you, and everything to do with him.

Well, yeah, but I have to have something.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Saladin

So I read his last post.... Yeah...
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Quote from: Saladin on June 23, 2020, 12:41:15 AM

In seriousness though...I've met up with him in person a few months ago (pre-COVID mind) you.  He's moved, has a job, seems to be doing well.  Our ability to exchange obscure movie references was uncanny.  :)

Saladin

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 23, 2020, 05:25:12 AM
Quote from: Saladin on June 23, 2020, 12:41:15 AM

In seriousness though...I've met up with him in person a few months ago (pre-COVID mind) you.  He's moved, has a job, seems to be doing well.  Our ability to exchange obscure movie references was uncanny.  :)

Ah ok. Good to hear. :)

Do we have a list of posters that are M.I.A?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."