News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Can be both, I suppose.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

This is either a big car or a small guy. Either way, he's trying to compensate.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Areas of similar nominal GDP in Europe.

Sheilbh

I love that, from what I can see, they've excluded the Vatican from light blue :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2020, 02:31:36 PM
I love that, from what I can see, they've excluded the Vatican from light blue :lol:

How many GDPs does the Pope have?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2020, 12:23:26 PMAll of that feels like things could escalate quickly. No idea if there are many (any?) Western journalists in Belarus to report though.

Not many. I have asked my colleague who works on Belarus to indicate if good English-language reporting emerges.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

The surprise for me is quite how much of a difference Switzerland makes considering France and UK at parity but Netherlands being richer than Belgium.
Though I note Luxembourg in yellow too. Maybe it boosts the numbers a fair bit there.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Zanza on June 19, 2020, 02:26:15 PM
Areas of similar nominal GDP in Europe.

I'm always curious as to why Germany is so different. Regional GDP and GDP-growth maps of Europe reveal how unique Germany is regarding geographical distribution of wealth and how despite the narrative, the crisis not only affected Club Med, but pretty much everyone "rich" but Germany (and Austria).

Syt

Quote from: Iormlund on June 19, 2020, 02:58:01 PM
I'm always curious as to why Germany is so different. Regional GDP and GDP-growth maps of Europe reveal how unique Germany is regarding geographical distribution of wealth and how despite the narrative, the crisis not only affected Club Med, but pretty much everyone "rich" but Germany (and Austria).

Austria looks good at a glance, but Vienna, where 25+% of the Austrian GDP lives, is in negative.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Ireland should look a lot worse. GDP includes lots of foreign owned companies for tax reasons, GNP is more useful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Did you know that Amazon only makes profit of any sort in Ireland? They must do lots of online shopping there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2020, 03:28:11 PM
Did you know that Amazon only makes profit of any sort in Ireland? They must do lots of online shopping there.

Are you being serious or ironic? I can't really tell and I'd hate to lash out at you unnecessarily.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2020, 03:47:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2020, 03:28:11 PM

Are you being serious or ironic? I can't really tell and I'd hate to lash out at you unnecessarily.  :P

Of course I am being ironic. Shit pisses me off. I think we need to just dump corporate taxes and find another way to get them to chip in for the public services they take advantage of to do their business.

I mean I don't think Ireland alone buys enough stuff to put Bezos on the way to being the world's first trillionaire. But maybe this is just a deal where eventually he will be so rich he will just pay off the US national debt out of his own pocket in exchange for Amazon not paying corporate tax all this time. :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Doesn't the statement actually hold up factually?
Only "they" are amazon rather than the Irish. It all works through sub companies and fake services and such right?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

And the Netherlands - one of the biggest enablers of tax avoidance in Europe.

There are lots of ways to get them to pay their taxes. I'm not sure just dropping it is the best idea. But there's lots of parts to it, some of it is tax laws, some of it is actual enforcement, some of it is levels of transparency.
Let's bomb Russia!