News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

No, the joke is these guys ripped off the Electronic Arts logo:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2020, 03:49:27 PM
Unconditioned air?  Is that the gag? :unsure:

That's AC in Spanish.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on May 20, 2020, 03:53:29 PM

Yup. They'll either get sued or, even worse, bought out.

grumbler

My understanding is that very similar trademarks are allowed where the businesses are so dissimilar that no confusion would result.  Lawtalkers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

My favourite passing off are the fake Morley's of South London.

Morley's is a small fried chicken chain - and it's not even a particularly good fried chicken shop. But all over South London there are fake Morley's, to the extent that I don't even know if I've ever seen or been to a real Morley's. They include: Moreley's, Mawley's, McMorley's, Peri Peri Morley's, mmm Morley's etc.

All with the same font and branding just their own take. I've no idea how or why it happened, or even if there is a "real" Morley's any more. It's that incessant sliding of the signified under the signifier, but with wings.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 20, 2020, 03:53:29 PM

:pinch: I have a feeling EA offices are going to be very chilly from now on.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2020, 06:22:33 PM
My understanding is that very similar trademarks are allowed where the businesses are so dissimilar that no confusion would result.  Lawtalkers?

Difference in business is a factor to take into consideration in the factual judgment of whether confusion is created.  It is not impossible that a company could still win an infringement case even if the businesses are dissimilar though.  For example if there is evidence of actual confusion created by the similar trademark.  But here, highly unlikely someone is going to think that EA sports has gotten into the AC business. 

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2020, 06:41:22 PM

Morley's is a small fried chicken chain - and it's not even a particularly good fried chicken shop. But all over South London there are fake Morley's, to the extent that I don't even know if I've ever seen or been to a real Morley's. They include: Moreley's, Mawley's, McMorley's, Peri Peri Morley's, mmm Morley's etc.

All with the same font and branding just their own take. I've no idea how or why it happened, or even if there is a "real" Morley's any more. It's that incessant sliding of the signified under the signifier, but with wings.
There's the same thing in NYC with a ton of (unrelated) pizzerias having near-identical names and logos.  I think it might be "Tony's" ?  :hmm:

edit:  It's "Ray's", as well as "Original Ray's", "Famous Ray's", "Original Famous Ray's", "World-Famous Ray's", "World-Famous Original Ray's", and so on. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2020, 03:49:27 PM
Unconditioned air?  Is that the gag? :unsure:

Reminds me of that small subcontractor we had in Germany who had the FC Barcelona logo in his letterhead
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2020, 06:41:22 PM

If you don't know you've been to a real one, how do you know it's bad? :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Word of the day : rantallion.
Someone whose scrotum is bigger than their penis
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Why does there need to be a word for that?   :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

I wonder if there ever was a dude with a 12 inch+ dinger & a GIANT ballsack.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.