And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2017, 04:14:08 PM
And me.

This surprises me, to be honest. I would expect you to know that historically speaking, people of color were known throughout all of Europe for millennia, and quite a few rose in status with minimal difficulties. This information has been out for sometime now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2017, 04:14:08 PM
And me.

Of course not.  You're in Iowa, where the corn is tall and the hoods are pointy.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2017, 03:16:57 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2017, 03:09:02 PM
And my main problem is that we should not strive for a society where we must include all skin colours in historic drawings with the same proportion of numbers as they are in our current society.
That doesn't lead to a society where skin colour doesn't matter, that leads to a society where skin colour is all-important for identity.

You are an ugly fuck, aren't you? Just as the people that you 'supposedly' disliked who went apeshit over the cartoon.

I don't get the hostility, and it sure doesn't explain why I am wrong

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2017, 04:26:22 PM
And my main problem is that we should not strive for a society where we must include all skin colours in historic drawings with the same proportion of numbers as they are in our current society.
That doesn't lead to a society where skin colour doesn't matter, that leads to a society where skin colour is all-important for identity.

You are an ugly fuck, aren't you? Just as the people that you 'supposedly' disliked who went apeshit over the cartoon.

When you actually want to learn something, let me know. When you just want to coyly post your thoughts about diversity? Meh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I bet he thinks the Romans were white.  Which is silly, since they were Italian.  #TheSitvation

Duque de Bragança

Most North Africans don't like to be seen (or called) as Africans since they have a peculiar Med identity, sometimes claiming to be Amazigh/Berber (Arabs are invaders!) or the opposite, Arabic, but please go on.  :lmfao:

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2017, 04:28:40 PM

When you actually want to learn something, let me know. When you just want to coyly post your thoughts about diversity? Meh.

I think, as long as people feel it is necessary to show an almost certainly not black guy as black just to make sure the black kids don't feel excluded, that only shows that the black kids ARE considered excluded by not just those who attack this decision and those who came up with it.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2017, 04:09:13 PM
All the more hilarious coming from a goofy ass Eastern European mud duck, though.  #BramStokersBeetula

That's right ahole, I live in a country where a sizeable portion of the population think me and my kin are ruining the country, and they rather yanked it into economic ruin than see it accept more of this untermensch rabble that is me.

And I am the one who will be assigned special identity papers soon to make sure my secondary status is clearly documented.

Not all can aspire to the greatness that is yours by birth you fucking ball of white light.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2017, 04:48:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 07, 2017, 04:28:40 PM

I think, as long as people feel it is necessary to show an almost certainly not black guy as black just to make sure the black kids don't feel excluded, that only shows that the black kids ARE considered excluded by not just those who attack this decision and those who came up with it.

So you don't want to learn anything?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2017, 04:55:07 PM
That's right ahole, I live in a country where a sizeable portion of the population think me and my kin are ruining the country, and they rather yanked it into economic ruin than see it accept more of this untermensch rabble that is me.

And I am the one who will be assigned special identity papers soon to make sure my secondary status is clearly documented.

And rightfully so, Gypsy Rose.  Don't even think about trying to break off your tracking collar on a rocky outcropping, either. 

QuoteNot all can aspire to the greatness that is yours by birth you fucking ball of white light.

Yes, when the time comes I'll be sure to remind the Gilead security forces of my Irish Catholic Preferred Member Status. :lol:

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2017, 05:03:02 PM

Yes, when the time comes I'll be sure to remind the Gilead security forces of my Irish Catholic Preferred Member Status. :lol:

Hey, man, you're an American, and therefore automatically better and more important than any non-American, regardless of race, creed, gender, national origin, gender orientation, political ideology, or disability status;  so you've got nothing to complain about.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2017, 04:17:45 PM
This surprises me, to be honest. I would expect you to know that historically speaking, people of color were known throughout all of Europe for millennia, and quite a few rose in status with minimal difficulties. This information has been out for sometime now.

I'm not debating whether Romans knew of the existence of black people.  I'm debating the likelihood of a black person living in Britain in AD 139 and reaching high rank.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 07, 2017, 05:22:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2017, 05:03:02 PM

Hey, man, you're an American, and therefore automatically better and more important than any non-American, regardless of race, creed, gender, national origin, gender orientation, political ideology, or disability status;  so you've got nothing to complain about.

Pfft, I guess that's OK if you can't be a Canadian...

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2017, 05:27:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2017, 04:17:45 PM

I'm not debating whether Romans knew of the existence of black people.  I'm debating the likelihood of a black person living in Britain in AD 139 and reaching high rank.

Why wouldn't they? Skin color and place of birth weren't important to Romans. Ability in the military and loyalty to the Empire were. The concept of racism as we understand it today is a late renaissance thing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2017, 05:49:04 PM
Why wouldn't they? Skin color and place of birth weren't important to Romans. Ability in the military and loyalty to the Empire were. The concept of racism as we understand it today is a late renaissance thing.

That's not entirely true.  In the late Republic public opinion was turned against Mark Antony based on his alleged adoption of decadent eastern ways.  In the late Empire families of Germanic troops were sometimes attacked based on suspicion of their loyalties.

But that's besides the point.  The Roman Empire at its greatest extent didn't include significant numbers of black citizens AFAIK.  Perhaps some Sudanese in southern Egypt (?). The only routes to high office were through ownership of land combined with service in the bureaucracy or army, usually both.  Is there any reason to believe that a black Sudanese possessed these characteristics?

It doesn't help at all that the chick historian's defense of the cartoon is that someone from *Algeria* served as governor in Britain.