And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2010, 04:16:28 PM
They don't really train.

Baseball isn't too hard physically except for the pitchers. Sometimes they even have 2 games in the same day.

There are very few doubleheaders anymore; almost none are scheduled but they will make them when games get canceled for weather.

The MLB season is 6 months long, so they play 162 games in ~180 days.

I also wouldn't say that they don't train, but the off-season is very short.  The World Series ended Nov 5; pitchers and catchers will start reporting to Spring Training the second or third week in February.  By the time you take a few weeks off to recharge it is time to start up again.

Zanza

Josephus

this is kinda a good site. You can see the front pages from newspaper all over the world.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/flash/
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

They should ask Dr. Joycelyn Elders to be in those Dr. Pepper "Trust me I'm a doctor" commercials.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on January 22, 2010, 10:31:07 AM
this is kinda a good site. You can see the front pages from newspaper all over the world.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/flash/

That is pretty cool.
A lot missing though, none at all of the Scots papers are there and most of the major Brit papers in general are absent.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Just burnt my damned tongue on an improperly-made espresso.  As much as I want to support the local coffee places, episodes like this make it difficult.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Spill it on your lap, you could sue. :ph34r:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2010, 09:00:04 PM
Just burnt my damned tongue on an improperly-made espresso.  As much as I want to support the local coffee places, episodes like this make it difficult.

That's one reason why I tend to stick with Starbucks and similar. Sure, they're expensive, but they usually don't make it too hot, and it generally tastes better, too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on January 19, 2010, 02:18:45 PM1000 € worth of minor scratches are one hell of a lot of scratches. Was the car gold plated, or something? :p
I got the estimate by the insurance company now. The total damage of my leasing car is more then 2200 Euro. Almost 1500 Euro from hail damage. And I haven't even noticed anything.  :lol:

That's almost as much as I paid for the car in the first place.