Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on January 06, 2015, 12:50:13 PM
Quote from: Brazen on January 06, 2015, 11:44:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 06, 2015, 11:38:08 AM
While I'm generally fine with big age differences (many in my family), Fry's fiance does have the look of a serial killer :unsure:
And he is 27, not 17 as the acne would imply. I do hope it's a meeting of minds.

Well it defies the Swedish Rule, so one has to assume one side is it in for power/money/movie roles/whatever and one side is in it for a young body. 57/2+7 = 35.5.

Would have to see the younger guy's past record to make up my mind (not that I care / judge them, just saying that for the sake of the discussion here) - there are people who are genuinely attracted to much older people. Gerontophilia (or less extreme forms of it) is a "thing".

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2015, 01:30:49 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2015, 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2015, 01:12:06 PM
Maybe he thought the Dirty Old Man rule applied to his weight, not his age.

... or maybe he's okay being a Dirty Old Man.

Everybody should be OK with being a Dirty Old Man.  It's the only fucking perk.

:yes:

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2015, 05:08:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 06, 2015, 02:57:21 PM
On principle, but also observation - gay men and women seem a lot more comfortable with younger/older partners.

I had no idea gays were so shallow and self-centered.  Why, that doesn't fit the stereotype at all.

There is also a bit of a mentor/padavan dynami, based on a number of gay relationships I encounter.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on January 07, 2015, 08:42:47 AM
What's the minimum number of floors over which it's acceptable to take the lift? Everyone at work from the third floor (UK, fourth in other parts of the world who don't have a "Ground") downward gets a good tutting. Sometimes they take it going down too!

I would generally say third (if you have a ground floor/zero floor). Anything else is simply a waste of time, even for the person using the floor to go to the first/second floor (not to mention other users). My firm's offices start on the third floor (I personally work on the fifth), and those lazy assholes who occupy the floors under our offices drive me nuts with taking the lift all the time.

Brazen

Any of you folk who live/d in Asia know what this Cambodian snack is? It's some kind of compressed fruit with a salty, hot flavouring.

Brazen

Panic over, it's Asian spicy tamarind candy, apparently. Avoid. 

derspiess

Trying to figure out what I searched for that triggered all these boxing gloves ads from AdSense.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on January 07, 2015, 10:07:44 AM
Trying to figure out what I searched for that triggered all these boxing gloves ads from AdSense.

Maybe all your posts here are just elaborate typos?     :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

What's the minimum number of floors over which it's acceptable to take the lift?

0. Hop in, push all the buttons, hop out.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

What's the minimum number of floors over which it's acceptable to take the lift? Everyone at work from the third floor (UK, fourth in other parts of the world who don't have a "Ground") downward gets a good tutting. Sometimes they take it going down too!

There were signs up in the US Agriculture Department building when I briefly worked there that said to walk up two, down three.

lustindarkness

I work on a 2nd floor, there are plenty that use the elevator. <_<
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 07, 2015, 01:51:13 PM

Naval fitness requirements: able to breathe in a sitting position.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

I figure it depends on how accessible the stairs are.

In my office the stairs are emergency access stairs.  They're inconvenient to get into and out of.  So I'll usually use the elevator even to go down one floor.

At the courthouse though there are big general-use stairways.  I'll typically walk up three flights of stairs if I'm not carrying/hauling anything really heavy (sometimes my file is big enough to require a big wheeled bag), and down 3-4 flights.  But I'm continually astonished how people will use an elevator to go up one level, even though a really big and obvious set of stairs is 10' away.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I'm thinking now the signs might have said "up one, down two."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2015, 02:00:02 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 07, 2015, 01:51:13 PM

Naval fitness requirements: able to breathe in a sitting position.

I'm talking about my civilian job.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom