And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2014, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2014, 08:48:03 AM
Elementary school is until 12 there right?

At the ES I was working at there was one half latin american of some sort girl in the 5th grade. She had: Mega boobage. Bizzare.
No, it's usually until 5th or 6th grade.  When I was a kid it was kindergarten thru 6th grade, and then we went to junior high school from 7th thru 9th grade, and then high school from 10th to 12th grade... except they changed it while I was still in the school system, so I actually only went to junior high school from 7th thru 8th grade.  So now it's elementary school from kindergarten thru 5th grade, then middle school from 6th thru 8th grade, and then high school from 9th thru 12th.

Still varies. In the 'boro, was till 4th. 5th started middle. But then I believe they've now moved 4th into the building. :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2014, 09:52:08 AM
Weird thought of the day- what happens when a kid is in a movie which has some rather unsuitable violence/sex/whatever in it?
I'd imagine the kid would really want to see the movie he is in...Wonder how the parents explain away the fact that he can't...hmm....

I guess that most parents cave and let the kid watch the movie, and that is the reason child stars grow up to be so troubled.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2014, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2014, 08:48:03 AM
Elementary school is until 12 there right?

At the ES I was working at there was one half latin american of some sort girl in the 5th grade. She had: Mega boobage. Bizzare.
No, it's usually until 5th or 6th grade.  When I was a kid it was kindergarten thru 6th grade, and then we went to junior high school from 7th thru 9th grade, and then high school from 10th to 12th grade... except they changed it while I was still in the school system, so I actually only went to junior high school from 7th thru 8th grade.  So now it's elementary school from kindergarten thru 5th grade, then middle school from 6th thru 8th grade, and then high school from 9th thru 12th.
It definitely varies state to state and even county to county, but I believe that the 1-5, 6-8, 9-12 model is most common now.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 11:25:40 AM
Weird thought of the day- what happens when a kid is in a movie which has some rather unsuitable violence/sex/whatever in it?
I'd imagine the kid would really want to see the movie he is in...Wonder how the parents explain away the fact that he can't...hmm....

I guess that most parents cave and let the kid watch the movie, and that is the reason child stars grow up to be so troubled.

That seems rather simplistic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2014, 11:41:54 AM

It wasn't a serious comment.  :secret:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 11:57:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2014, 11:41:54 AM

It wasn't a serious comment.  :secret:

Why make it all then? It wasn't amusing.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2014, 12:01:22 PM

I think it was amusing.

alfred russel

Today we will witness (or more likely not witness) the Daytona 500.

Nascar has really been struggling with attendance and ratings in recent years. I think this race is a perfect illustration of why:

In the late 80s, to get on the pole you needed a speed around 210 mph. In 2014, after dramatic improvements in race car and safety technology, the pole speed is just under 200 mph. Last year, the average speed of the race was 159 mph, the fastest since 2001. That average speed was actually exceeded in 1966.

Nascar racing isn't pushing the limits anymore, and fans know it.

Ed Anger

Danica Patrick wrecks by lap 30.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 23, 2014, 12:22:09 PM
Danica Patrick wrecks by lap 30.

She finished in the top 10 last year.

fhdz

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 22, 2014, 11:51:30 PM
Prototype of the gorgeous hipster guy, I.V. Dzhugashvili at 23:

Looks a bit like Stephen Dorff.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 12:12:18 PM

I think it was amusing.

Well you've shown a pattern of poor decision making in the past, so I suppose these things can't be helped.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2014, 12:27:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 23, 2014, 12:12:18 PM

I think it was amusing.

Well you've shown a pattern of poor decision making in the past, so I suppose these things can't be helped.

Part of why I thought it would be amusing is that less discerning readers would not understand why I would post it.

garbon