News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2014, 01:41:33 PM

Then argue the legal standards should be changed. How many thousands of cases will a judge and prosecutor see in a year? If the standard is guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, then it stands to reason something really crazy is going to happen in a case or two that gets an unattractive outcome.

Sure. I wouldn't kill them over one mistake. I think three strikes and you're disbarred would be fair.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

You guys seem to be completely overlooking the point about the detective framing the accused.   You can't blame a prosecutor or judge or jury for that.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 01:43:23 PM
You guys seem to be completely overlooking the point about the detective framing the accused.   You can't blame a prosecutor or judge or jury for that.

True. This would be one of ARs crazy circumstances. What an evil bastard that guy must be.

The Minsky Moment

The JNOV procedure that Ideologue talks about (R29 in federal) deals with cases where the problem is sufficiency of the evidence.  The bar for sufficiency is pretty low and I wouldn't expect the typical case of wrongful conviction to involve legal insufficiency.

Also while it is possible for a judge to direct a verdict of acquittal sua sponte (without request from defense) I am not aware of any requirement to do so whenever warranted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

The rule says "may".  Not must.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

I am intentionally. I'd hate to think that prosecutors are held to standard that they can't try more than 3 innocent people in their careers.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2014, 01:58:13 PM

I am intentionally. I'd hate to think that prosecutors are held to standard that they can't try more than 3 innocent people in their careers.

Can't convict. Big difference. We have plenty of extra law school graduates to take their places anyway.  :P

In other news, Barbie gets the SI cover:

Admiral Yi

I don't remember Barbie being that anorexic. :yuk:

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2014, 01:45:59 PM

True. This would be one of ARs crazy circumstances. What an evil bastard that guy must be.
We had a high profile case recently where a woman accused someone of rape and he served five years. After he got out, he tried to get his sentence acknowledged as faulty and was actually successful and got exonerated later. The woman who had accused him was recently sentenced to five and a half years of prison for false imprisonment.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 02:02:07 PM
I don't remember Barbie being that anorexic. :yuk:

You were too distracted by the ginormous tits.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

You sure they haven't skinnied her up?