And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on December 05, 2012, 12:30:53 PM
God I loved the sears catalogs.

How old are you spiess, you must be older than I was thinking?

39.  With 2 older brothers, I was a bit precocious.  And I have a pretty solid memory starting with when I was 3 years old.  So I consider myself a child of both the 70s and 80s.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Btw, holy shit.  A 25" color TV cost $500 in 1979, or over $1500 adjusted for inflation.  I suppose that seems about right, but still, yikes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 12:55:17 PM
Btw, holy shit.  A 25" color TV cost $500 in 1979, or over $1500 adjusted for inflation.  I suppose that seems about right, but still, yikes.

It's times like these that I wish I could find CdM's hysterics over the Supreme Court ruling about per se price-arrangements in consumer items.  I distinctly recall him saying that TVs would be many thousands of dollars or somesuch, and he wasn't the only one freaking out. :smarty:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

I did that as well in the early 90s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I used to open them from the other end, and read them like the Torah, because all the toy stuff was in the back.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on December 05, 2012, 01:03:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 12:55:17 PM

It's times like these that I wish I could find CdM's hysterics over the Supreme Court ruling about per se price-arrangements in consumer items.  I distinctly recall him saying that TVs would be many thousands of dollars or somesuch, and he wasn't the only one freaking out. :smarty:

Price-fixing gouging motherfuckers :mad:

Admiral Yi

The appeal of the Sear's catalogue diminished quite a bit when they started printing lingerie ads in newspapers.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 03:47:26 PM
The appeal of the Sear's catalogue diminished quite a bit when they started printing lingerie ads in newspapers.

I remember discovering the lingerie section of department store catalogs when I was in third grade.  I still started at the toy section like Seedy, but made sure to hit lingerie before I closed it up.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 05, 2012, 11:58:37 AM
Watching the Gen Xers get old is sad.  :(

You will enjoy it mister, or else.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Ed Anger

I bought my 5 1/4" disks there for my rampant C-64 piracy.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2012, 04:27:45 PM

Auto-Nibbler FTW

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 04:33:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2012, 04:27:45 PM

Auto-Nibbler FTW

PARAMETERS.

Or nibblers if the easy stuff didn't work.  :lol:

derspiess

Btw, $269 for an Intellivision in 1980 is $755 in 2012 dollars.  Games were about $30 apiece, which equates to $84.22 today.  Yowza, no wonder dad always bitched about how expensive that stuff was.