News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2012, 11:31:21 AM
So yesterday was a celebration of all things Argentine: steak, wine, beer, empanadas, chorizo. 

Today I'm getting annoyed by how damned small everything is.

Well, stop looking at your wheener all of the time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Ugh snowing here too now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Brazen on November 07, 2012, 10:19:21 AM
US friends, can you help fact-check something for an article, please. Would it be correct to say that states with a strong military presence are generally Republican voters?

It depends on the state.  Most of them (California, etc) are far too diluted for the military presence to matter.  Washington has a good amount of bases, but the state is pretty strongly overwhelmingly Democratic.

States with better percentages, Hawaii and Alaska, and other Republican-leaning states, such as Georgia and Texas, would likely vote the way they went regardless.

And a significant number of my colleagues tend towards Democrat/athiest, though the Intelligence(especially Air Force) field probably attracts more of that type than any other segment of the military (we have a much larger percentage of women also, for example).

But my overall, simple answer to your question would be "No".

Congressional districts might be another matter.

Ed Anger

Cramer seems a bit shaky this evening.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Seedy's avatar is making me all nostalgic and shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Isn't it, though.

I miss that man.  The only campaign I ever sweat for.  For all, oh, 4 months of it or so.  :lol:

mongers

How hard can it be to buy some slippers. :rolleyes:

It's not like I'm looking for a pipe at the same time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lettow77

Venice must be cured of its industriousness- I worry that it may have too much a sense of perverse purpose when contrasted with the yukkuri of occitania. What I don't understand, however, is why the same idyll is so poorly handled when italians, more specifically south italians, indulge in it. I assume it is owing to bad faith and the worst traditions of treachery and opportunism, rather than the resistance to hard work in general.

(For resistance to hard work is of course an exalted virtue)

For this reason, venice of the eighteenth century catches my imagination most of all; to have gained and lost glory and be steeped in a gentle, reassuring failure as everything quietly deteriorates seems a more beautiful lassitude than someone who had never known any sort of greatness derived from thrift, hard work and adventure.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Brazen

Overheard in phone shop: "If I get the black iPhone now, can I change the colour later?"

Count

Car alarm on my street has been going off every minute for an hour.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Grey Fox

Quote from: Count on November 08, 2012, 09:39:15 AM
Car alarm on my street has been going off every minute for an hour.

Time to whip out the .50 cal and have wonderfull time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Brazen on November 08, 2012, 08:18:46 AM
Overheard in phone shop: "If I get the black iPhone now, can I change the colour later?"

Once you go black...
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Phillip V

Marine arrested after attacking a paralyzed Army veteran he thought was using uniform and wheelchair as a Halloween costume.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/03/marine-in-tutu-allegedly-knocks-wheelchair-bound-veteran-unconscious/

jimmy olsen

:lol:

For those who don't know, this is the mayor of Newark, New Jersey.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point