The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Yeah, really, not a funny thing to say.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 30, 2011, 06:14:48 PM
Yeah, really, not a funny thing to say.

:huh: Do you know the reference?  Something a character says before offing himself?

DGuller

No, but the supposed meaning when said seriously is obvious, which is why it should only be said when you're serious.

Habbaku

Or he could just be leaving for a few days.  Or weeks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on September 30, 2011, 07:04:00 PM
Or he could just be leaving for a few days.  Or weeks.
Most likely he is.  Still not funny, and very tired by now.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on September 30, 2011, 07:11:26 PM
He's said that before. :huh:

I've seen him say it at least once in the last couple of months.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 30, 2011, 07:02:43 PM
No, but the supposed meaning when said seriously is obvious, which is why it should only be said when you're serious.

How is obvious what "thanks for the fish" means?

Lettow77

Anything mongers says is funny and endearing, provided you imagine it in his voice.

He is a living national treasure, and his existence is its own justification.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

And Excerpt from the life of Raz:

"Woah!  I hit that one real far, they ain't never going to get that one back"

"That's good Raz, but we're playing miniature golf."

"What's your point?"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2011, 07:19:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 30, 2011, 07:02:43 PM

How is obvious what "thanks for the fish" means?

It's a from a novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Long,_and_Thanks_for_All_the_Fish
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

:huh: So Guller is imagining stuff.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2011, 07:41:31 PM

I don't know what you mean by this.

DGuller

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 07:50:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2011, 07:41:31 PM

I don't know what you mean by this.

*sigh*  Making more of Mongers' note than was warranted.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr