Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I think it is at least theoretically possible to take pride in and show some nostalgia for the Confederate south, including it's iconic images (like the battle flag) without it being an endorsement of slavery or a reflection on the overtly racist nature of the Confederacy.

In theory.

And there are people who I know personally who when they talk about the Confederacy with a note of pride, I understand their position and can accept that there isn't any kind of racial over-tone to their position.

But the taint of slavery and the violent post-war racism makes this only theoretical when it comes to those who I cannot vouch for personally. The pervasiveness of race in the history of the Confederacy makes it very hard for me to buy into the general idea that someone going out of their way to shove those icons down the public's throats are doing so for any kind of defensible reason.

I imagine that in theory it is possible to acknowledge and appreciate German WW2 history without any attempt to whitewash the Nazi's as well. But in general, I am just as skeptical that some nutjob going on about the Wehrmacht in WW2 is really NOT a skinhead.

The taint of nazism and slavery both suffuse their respective histories so thorough;y that I don't even know if it is possible to consider them without.

Finally, the idea that those who are the continuing targets of that injustice should be expected to ignore that taint and just accept that they should tolerate living in a society that glorifies those who fought to enslave them is beyond the pale.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2015, 05:40:32 PM
I did see that he bounced from school to school, but nothing about an inner city school.  He didn't live in a city area any more then he lived in Rhodesia.  I picked up the information from the wiki site.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_church_shooting#Suspect  He seems to be just some dimwitted drop out.  Because of his frustration he gravitated toward extreme right wing nonsense.  He could have just as easily gravitated toward some other dumb ideology and become a Marxist movie reviewer or something similarly inane.

Is there a reason why we put up with you besides pity?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2015, 04:33:10 PM
The unbelievable decency of the victim's families is pretty heart wrenching. They are better Christians than me.

This, by the way.  Impressive display of Christian forgiveness.  I'm not sure I could have done the same in similar circumstances.

p.s.  I thought you were Universalist Valmy, not Christian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2015, 07:17:01 PM
Really?

Yes, really.  From what I can tell he lived around Columbia, South Carolina which has 130,000 people which is about the size of Columbia, Missouri which I have never considered a city either. You need like half a million to make a city.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2015, 11:34:09 PM
Quote from: katmai on June 21, 2015, 11:32:36 PM
That is silly Raz.

How big do you think a city needs to be?

Being that SC has well over 4 million people, and Columbia is the largest city, tells me that it is artificially hampered by the what is in the actual incorporated city limits, as opposed to it's metropolitan area...which for Columbia, happens to be nearly 800,000.

The East German judge acknowledges that it is a "city". 

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2015, 11:28:48 PM
Really?

Yes, really.  From what I can tell he lived around Columbia, South Carolina which has 130,000 people which is about the size of Columbia, Missouri which I have never considered a city either. You need like half a million to make a city.
Bizzare, half a million is not the benchmark to make a city.

Olympia,WA is a city. Pop around 50k
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 22, 2015, 12:28:53 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2015, 11:34:09 PM
Quote from: katmai on June 21, 2015, 11:32:36 PM
That is silly Raz.

How big do you think a city needs to be?

Being that SC has well over 4 million people, and Columbia is the largest city, tells me that it is artificially hampered by the what is in the actual incorporated city limits, as opposed to it's metropolitan area...which for Columbia, happens to be nearly 800,000.

The East German judge acknowledges that it is a "city".

Or that it merely has a very large area to describe a metropolitan area.  Columbia and Jefferson City have over 300,000 people in their metropolitan areas, yet no terrible inner city that Yi was discussing.  Lot of cows and pigs though.  Yi accused me of lying despite not actually having evidence that I lied, he only the provides possibility that I may be wrong.  I will concede it is possible that Mr. Roof was attended school in Chicago's South side or Compton, but I have seen no evidence of that and have no reason to think so.  The only school I saw that he did attend did not look like an inner city school.  The idea that someone would consider Columbia, SC a big city (big enough to have a rotting inner city of grinding poverty), honestly never occurred to me.

jimmy olsen

In my personal opinion, you need at least 100,000 in this day and age to be considered a city, and that's borderline.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I did find another high school he went to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreher_High_School

And this was the first one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Knoll_High_School

After that he seemed to have dropped out.

If he attended an "inner city school" then it was either a middle school or elementary school.

jimmy olsen

:nelson:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/21/charleston-confederate-statue-vandalism_n_7632702.html

QuotePolice say someone spray-painted the message "Black Lives Matter" on a statue memorializing the Confederacy in Charleston several days after a shooting at a historic black church.

Police spokesman Charles Francis said city workers used a tarp to cover up the graffiti marking the stone pedestal beneath the statue. He said he didn't know when the graffiti was spray-painted there, but said it would be cleaned off.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2015, 11:28:48 PM
Really?

I've been to Columbia, SC and portions of it at least definitely have the feel of a city, even if it doesn't meet your own personal, arbitrary definition of one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2015, 01:24:42 AM
Or that it merely has a very large area to describe a metropolitan area.  Columbia and Jefferson City have over 300,000 people in their metropolitan areas, yet no terrible inner city that Yi was discussing.  Lot of cows and pigs though.  Yi accused me of lying despite not actually having evidence that I lied, he only the provides possibility that I may be wrong.  I will concede it is possible that Mr. Roof was attended school in Chicago's South side or Compton, but I have seen no evidence of that and have no reason to think so.  The only school I saw that he did attend did not look like an inner city school.  The idea that someone would consider Columbia, SC a big city (big enough to have a rotting inner city of grinding poverty), honestly never occurred to me.

You've conveniently forgotten the fact that you said he went to one school when he went to several.