News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Croatia 'will move migrants on'.

QuoteMigrants flooding into Croatia will be "moved on", PM Zoran Milanovic has warned, adding that his country cannot become a "migrant hotspot". He said the country's borders would not be shut completely, but it had reached its limit. His remarks came as Croatia closed seven of eight road crossings after a huge influx of migrants seeking onward passage towards northern Europe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34291648
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Liep

That's all well and stuff, but Slovenia is upping their border control and why would they let in asylum seekers from another EU country? I guess they still have time to dump them on a none-fenced part of the Hungary border and just walk away whistling inconspicuously .
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on September 18, 2015, 06:23:53 AM
That's all well and stuff, but Slovenia is upping their border control and why would they let in asylum seekers from another EU country? I guess they still have time to dump them on a none-fenced part of the Hungary border and just walk away whistling inconspicuously .

This really is horrible. It is one thing to deny entrance from the migrants - after all, what is the point of sovereign states if you can't deny entrance through your border - but it is an entirely different thing to use vulnerable desperate people as bargaining chips and worse, some litter you want to dump in your neighbour's backyard.

Richard Hakluyt

The "ever closer union"  :lmfao:  will have to be put on hold.

Legbiter

Well Merkel had to go and insinuate that Germany was ready with free housing and gimedats.

Gutmensch kill.

Syt

Syt solves the refugee crisis

It's clear that a country by country solution doesn't work. One country says they'll pass on the refugees, they're overwhelmed, close their borders, then the next country steps in. Rince and repeat. What we need is more Ordnung.

1. This is an area where the EU has to work together and as an entity. It has proven that every country trying to do what they find is right only exacerbates the problem.

2. Along the border of the EU, from Spain to Greece, from Italy to Hungary, facilities need to be created that can house large numbers of refugees, where asylum seekers have a bed, something to eat and basic medical and sanitary facilities. Refugees are registered and prepared for further distribution within the EU. The stay at these facilities shouldn't last longer than a week. The facilities are EU funded and staffed.

3. The seekers are redistributed between the EU countries based on economic and demographic factors. The refugees can give a preference, and if possible this is followed (and can be used to determine quotas). Quotas can be traded. If a recognized refugee moves from the country that he was allotted to, that country will pay a fee to the target country.

4. The right to asylum must be the same throughout the EU. I.e. the same rules must be applied to a refugee whether he's processed in the UK, Romania, Estonia, Germany or Hungary. It must follow the same process everywhere - asylum seekers must know that their procedure will be the same. Arbitration in case of rejected asylum seekers needs to be before an EU court of independent judges.

5. The process for granting/rejecting asylum must be as short as possible. Of course there will be outliers where a personal situation is difficult to clarify. But in general the procedure needs to be sped up. Same goes for arbitration cases. This will require a significant amount of resources, but hey - we need jobs, right?

6. If rejected, asylum seekers can apply for "economic immigration." Proven skills, personal situation etc. feed into a points system that determines whether or not someone is granted a permit to stay and work. The points awarded and required necessary can be adjusted based on current situation and needs. They will be given 9 months to complete an integration course and find employment before they are required to leave.

7. Accepted asylum seekers and permitted economic immigrants are distributed by the above mentioned quota system.

8. During the time a refugee waits for the decision for asylum, there need to be means of keeping them occupied, with sports, language courses, work activities etc.

9. Everyone rejected needs to be deported to country of origin within a month.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

you forgot step 10:
when the war is over the refugees are sent back to their country where they can help the rebuilding efforts.

Tamas

Good plan Syt.

Unfortunately it requires forward planning and a feeling of long term responsibility for the individual countries as well as the EU, all of which our political class is cleary devoid of.

Legbiter

Yes Syt, an excellent plan except a few years too late.

Legbiter

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 18, 2015, 07:00:40 AM
you forgot step 10:
when the war is over the refugees are sent back to their country where they can help the rebuilding efforts.

lol

Repatriating people en masse back to Arab countries? Can't be done on humanitarian grounds.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 18, 2015, 06:35:04 AM
The "ever closer union"  :lmfao:  will have to be put on hold.

Does it mean the Calais jungle stays where it is or it moves to Dover-Folkestone?  :P

Grey Fox

Also, the Western world has no money for anything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2015, 07:03:48 AM
Good plan Syt.

Unfortunately it requires forward planning and a feeling of long term responsibility for the individual countries as well as the EU, all of which our political class is cleary devoid of.

Yes, the EU should've made plans for how the border countries should handle asylum seekers years ago. I fear it's too late now to come up with any lasting common solutions.

Maybe in time for the next civil war close to Europe.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on September 18, 2015, 06:37:58 AM
Well Merkel had to go and insinuate that Germany was ready with free housing and gimedats.

Gutmensch kill.

A gimedat? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.