News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2015, 09:28:54 AM
It's really silly. The total number of refugees that come to Europe per year must be less than a million. That's 0.2% of the population. How hard can it be to distribute and integrate that number?

For that you would have to basically lift immigration controls. Because yes there are people who just want to lay low behind peaceful borders while the shitstorm back home passes.

But then you have, often literally mixed with them, the guys around Calais. They are doing that shit not because they are refugees, but because they are (rightfully or not) not welcome in the place they want to go to, and can only enter illegally.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on June 26, 2015, 09:23:20 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2015, 05:49:40 AM
The left in Europe -seemingly- is shooting itself in the foot again by not differentiating between the masses of desperate people pouring in from warzones, and the fucktards who do stuff like camping at Calais.

Illegal immigrants are illegal immigrants. How they can setup camp somewhere and then cause mayhem is beyond me.
:huh:
Its the right who don't differentiate and have a general policy of "Keep 'em all out" in some cases with a slight addition of " unless they're doctors. Then we can use them. Who cares where they come from."
The left are far more about analysing things in detail and trying to help the most in need.
Maybe your Left should inform our Left about that. The left here -and not only here- is more about letting everyone in and giving them money.

Admiral Yi

As a weekly reader of The Economist, I have never heard anything from the British left about analyzing things in detail and trying to help the most in need, or any other permutation of immigration restriction.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2015, 09:39:29 AM
For that you would have to basically lift immigration controls. Because yes there are people who just want to lay low behind peaceful borders while the shitstorm back home passes.

But then you have, often literally mixed with them, the guys around Calais. They are doing that shit not because they are refugees, but because they are (rightfully or not) not welcome in the place they want to go to, and can only enter illegally.
Yes, but the quota would only apply to those considered refugees that are granted asylum.
It would not apply to other immigrants, legal or not. So I don't see the contradiction here.
We should be able to redistribute the refugees - which are legal immigrants by the way as per the UN refugee charters etc. - and still have immigration controls in place for every other category of immigrants.

Norgy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 26, 2015, 06:15:07 AM
The left in Europe -seemingly- is shooting itself in the foot again by not differentiating between the masses of desperate people pouring in from warzones, and the fucktards who do stuff like camping at Calais.

Illegal immigrants are illegal immigrants. How they can setup camp somewhere and then cause mayhem is beyond me.

The european left -suffering from a severe case of cultural marxism- still believes that this horde will expedite their "workers-revolution" and usher in the "workers-paradise" while everyone with half a brain has long ago seen that unfettered access will only lead to unlimited misery. For everyone. It'll take the collapse of social security in a few countries before they'll understand... maybe.
And in the mean time real refugees lose out because the general populace has more or less had it with "more foreigners".

No, I think the European left - suffering from a severe case of humanism - still believe these are human beings.

You are welcome to keep your conspiracy-addled 1930s mindset, though.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Norgy on June 26, 2015, 02:04:42 PM

The european left -suffering from a severe case of cultural marxism- still believes that this horde will expedite their "workers-revolution" and usher in the "workers-paradise" while everyone with half a brain has long ago seen that unfettered access will only lead to unlimited misery. For everyone. It'll take the collapse of social security in a few countries before they'll understand... maybe.
And in the mean time real refugees lose out because the general populace has more or less had it with "more foreigners".

No, I think the European left - suffering from a severe case of humanism - still believe these are human beings.
don't be naive. it's about money, power and votes. And if the left has to sell out the locals to get them they will, without batting an eyelid

Norgy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 26, 2015, 02:16:39 PM

don't be naive. it's about money, power and votes. And if the left has to sell out the locals to get them they will, without batting an eyelid

Okay, Breivik.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Norgy on June 26, 2015, 04:09:46 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 26, 2015, 02:16:39 PM

Okay, Breivik.
leftist mud doesn't stick anymore

Tamas

In one of the biggest (probably the biggest) refugee camps in Hungary, there was a kind of small riot, supposedly over a religious "debate" between camp dwellers.

They were protesting or doing something similar outside in the city (Debrecen) as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=35&v=aVbPpOJhX0I

Riot police has been deployed, and refugees are forbidden to leave the premises.

It's a camp with facilities for 800 people. It currently houses 1600.

One cannot avoid thinking how conveniently timed this is for the government. This is the very first incident of even remotely this scale. I wonder if they had somebody incite a religious face-off inside.

Syt

http://www.thelocal.at/20150701/austria-to-help-hungary-secure-borders-and-cope-with-migrant-wave

QuoteAustria to help Hungary cope with migrant wave

The interior ministers of Austria, Hungary and Serbia have signed an agreement to send more personnel and technical equipment to joint police patrols on Serbia's borders with Hungary and Macedonia.

"The EU must not just be focused on the Mediterranean sea routes but also the Balkan route," Austrian Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner told a press conference.

Mikl-Leitner said she wants to improve cooperation with Budapest to help secure its borders.

Hungary has refused to take back asylum seekers from other EU states and is threatening to build a fence along its border with Serbia to stem the flow of irregular migrants.

The European Commission has pledged to send financial aid and experts to Hungary to help it cope with a surge in illegal immigration this year, a senior Brussels official said in Budapest on Tuesday.

"Hungary will receive nearly €8 million ($9 million) of support to help it cope with the migration issue," said Dimitris Avramopoulos, the commission's senior official for migration issues, told journalists after a meeting with Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto.

Calling European Union member Hungary a "frontline" state like Italy and Greece, Avramopoulos said "Europe will always support frontline member states".

"Hungary is under pressure. We were talking so far about Italy and Greece, now we added Hungary," he noted.

Brussels also offered to send asylum experts and help set up temporary "hot-spot" tents to speed up identification and registration of migrants and processing of asylum requests, Avramopoulos said.

In the last two years, Hungary, also a member of Europe's passport-free Schengen zone, has become a major transit country for refugees and migrants attempting to reach wealthy Western countries like Austria and Germany by land rather than sea.

Prime Minister Viktor Orban complained last week in Brussels that Hungary was receiving little help from Brussels compared to Italy and Greece. "Now more attention is being paid to Hungary," Avramopoulos said on Tuesday.

In 2014, Hungary received more asylum requests per capita than any other EU country apart from Sweden, up to nearly 43,000 from just 2,000 in 2012.

Most come from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, but also from Kosovo.

This year, more than 50,000 migrants tried to cross into Hungary via Serbia between January 1 and May 31 -- representing an 880 percent increase compared to the same period in 2014, according to the EU's Frontex border agency.

The surge has coincided with a series of controversial anti-immigration measures launched by Orban.

Earlier in June, his government unveiled plans to build a four-metre (13-foot) high fence on its border with Serbia to keep out migrants.

"We try to adopt a common European agenda, a common European policy on migration but member states are not deprived of the right to adopt their own policy on matters of defending borders," Avramopoulos said.

Fences have already been built by Greece and Bulgaria, also EU member states, he added.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on June 29, 2015, 11:56:27 AM
In one of the biggest (probably the biggest) refugee camps in Hungary, there was a kind of small riot, supposedly over a religious "debate" between camp dwellers.

They were protesting or doing something similar outside in the city (Debrecen) as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=35&v=aVbPpOJhX0I

Riot police has been deployed, and refugees are forbidden to leave the premises.

It's a camp with facilities for 800 people. It currently houses 1600.

One cannot avoid thinking how conveniently timed this is for the government. This is the very first incident of even remotely this scale. I wonder if they had somebody incite a religious face-off inside.

Did they use the tumult to kill somebody formely associated to the regime in the country they left while shouting slogans equivalent to ¡Libertad! ?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Tamas

Just yesterday the Hungarian police and border patrols caught more than 1200 illegal migrants.

IIRC that's more than 10% of the usual yearly traffic, on a single day I wonder if migration is indeed brutally increasing or the police stopped letting them through, to help drive the government's point home.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on July 17, 2015, 02:25:18 AM
Just yesterday the Hungarian police and border patrols caught more than 1200 illegal migrants.

IIRC that's more than 10% of the usual yearly traffic, on a single day I wonder if migration is indeed brutally increasing or the police stopped letting them through, to help drive the government's point home.

It could easily be both.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."